Corsair announces a new $149 mid-tower ATX 'smart' case

Humza

Staff member
Bottom line: If you are in the market for a mid-tower ATX case, chances are you're looking to build a gaming PC. To that end, Corsair's new iCue 465X RGB Mid-Tower ATX Smart Case should get your attention with its integrated RGB lighting controls and a sleek look thanks to two 4mm tempered glass panels.

Corsair's latest entry in its 'Smart' PC case line-up is the iCue 465X. A mid-tower ATX case with edge-to-edge tempered glass on the side and front that's meant to show off the PC's RGB lighting effects with the included iCue-controlled RGB fans and compatible products like RAM modules, CPU coolers, led strips, keyboards and mice.

The 8kg steel case can fit up to six 120mm or three 140mm cooling fans and supports multiple radiator sizes between 120mm and 360mm. Its drive bays can hold two 3.5-inch drives that sit horizontally between the PSU and the front panel and four 2.5-inch drives that latch onto the side vertically.

Ventilation gaps between the glass panels and a clean internal layout ensure good airflow that's helped by three 1,500 RPM Corsair LL120 RGB fans, along with a Lighting Node Core controller out of the box that can manage up to 6 RGB fans without requiring a fan hub.

Three filters protect the case from dust and are easily accessible in the front, roof and the floor of the case for when some dusting is in order.

Other specs include support for Max GPU length (370mm), Max PSU length (180mm), Max Cooler height (170mm), 7+2 vertical expansion slots and dimensions of 467 x 216 x 455mm.

The casing is available to buy in black and white color options.

Permalink to story.

I'm personally not a fan of the wild, multi color RGB light effects. I like the RGB to be subtle which is why I love my TRIAD tower and my R4 Laptop.

I would like it, however, if there was a LCD monitor built into a case that automatically at a glance tells the CPU temp, the GPU temp, the SSD temp, PSU temp and the RAM temp.

Looks ugly. I prefer the Phanteks Evolv X that I have. It has more than adequate airflow and tons of space for just about everything. I would rather it have a half inch more space between the PSU and the bottom drive-cage, but it's a beast! Plus, it can hold 2 systems, and it's only $50 more.

I think I saw a review of this case recently. If I remember correctly, the 3 front fans are 3-pin only and do only an adequate job of cooling. Also you have to remove the front panel to access the filter in the floor.
I prefer my cases to have air coming in through a mesh filtered panel to have maximum clean airflow.

Looks ugly. I prefer the Phanteks Evolv X that I have. It has more than adequate airflow and tons of space for just about everything. I would rather it have a half inch more space between the PSU and the bottom drive-cage, but it's a beast! Plus, it can hold 2 systems, and it's only $50 more.
Phantek cases are awesome!

I'm personally not a fan of the wild, multi color RGB light effects. I like the RGB to be subtle which is why I love my TRIAD tower and my R4 Laptop.

I would like it, however, if there was a LCD monitor built into a case that automatically at a glance tells the CPU temp, the GPU temp, the SSD temp, PSU temp and the RAM temp.

Good thing that it's RGB, at least you can regulate the lights with millions/billions of colors.

Looks what happens when I increase my case fan speed.
my gpu and cpu fans are effected...[ ].....
OK, unless you own the particular case outlined in this article, you've posted in the wrong thread.

Second point, that chart is kind of vague, but I do have a touch of rum on board, perhaps that's affecting my observation..

Next, if the path of the front case fans aligns with the CPU fan, why wouldn't the cooler fan speed up? After all, added airflow directed at the CPU cooler, should have a "supercharging" effect. The load of dragging static air into the cooled is lightened, and the CPU fan should speed up.

The second thing which is possible, is when additional cool air is brought into the front, neither the GPU nor CPU fans need to work as hard. Thus their speeds could go down, which is more likely in the case of the GPU, which isn't aligned with the incoming airflow.

A lot depends on pressure density from the front fan, as well as its circular momentum, and velocity of its air column. Since I forget algebra as soon as I walk our of the classroom, you'll have to take those factors up with someone else.

Note how well GE, (and others such as Pratt & Whitney), have mastered the whole "one fan helps spin the other", paradigm:

CF6-6_engine_cutaway.jpg

Last edited:
Looks what happens when I increase my case fan speed.
my gpu and cpu fans are effected...[ ].....
OK, unless you own the particular case outlined in this article, you've posted in the wrong thread.

Second point, that chart is kind of vague, but I do have a touch of rum on board, perhaps that's affecting my observation..

Next, if the path of the front case fans aligns with the CPU fan, why wouldn't the cooler fan speed up? After all, added airflow directed at the CPU cooler, should have a "supercharging" effect. The load of dragging static air into the cooled is lightened, and the CPU fan should speed up.

The second thing which is possible, is when additional cool air is brought into the front, neither the GPU nor CPU fans need to work as hard. Thus their speeds could go down, which is more likely in the case of the GPU, which isn't aligned with the incoming airflow.

A lot depends on pressure density from the front fan, as well as its circular momentum, and velocity of its air column. Since I forget algebra as soon as I walk our of the classroom, you'll have to take those factors up with someone else.

Note how well GE, (and others such as Pratt & Whitney), have mastered the whole "one fan helps spin the other", paradigm:

CF6-6_engine_cutaway.jpg

LOL that mad me laugh.
No honestly when I raise my case fan speed the cpu and gpu fans rpm increase because case is positive pressure and the air has no where else to go other than them radiators.

Circular momentum lmao
dragging static air lmao
depends on pressure density from the front fan lmao

you made ma laugh wit these words thx mate it was a entertaining read.
No honestly my fan speed goes up, I could remove the fans from my cpu and gpu if I wanted and make it passive cooled.

https://imgur.com/gallery/g7aJToA

Circular momentum lmao
dragging static air lmao
depends on pressure density from the front fan lmao

you made ma laugh wit these words thx mate it was a entertaining read.
No honestly my fan speed goes up, I could remove the fans from my cpu and gpu if I wanted and make it passive cooled.....[ ....
What part of, "and that boys and girls, is the principle behind how a jet engine operates", are you still having trouble processing? The first fan pumps higher velocity air into the second fan which causes it to turn faster. You have a consummate grasp of the obvious effect, but zilch of the theory behind it .

In fact, why don't you take your fans off the CPU & GPU? Do let us know how that works out for you, in one of the tech threads, not here.

Unless of course, you'd going to buy one of these cases, put your machine into it, and give us a tech report.

Back