Corsair launches portable K63 mechanical gaming keyboard

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Corsair on Thursday announced a new portable mechanical gaming keyboard. Dubbed the Corsair K63, the board features a tenkeyless design (no numerical keyboard), gold-contact Cherry MX switches and a full complement of dedicated media keys.

The Corsair K63 packs the popular Cherry MX Red switches which offer a light, linear feel with an actuation force of 45g. Red switches are common in gaming keyboards as they excel in fast action sequences and afford minimal resistance.

The board also features per-key red LED backlighting that can be controlled individually using Corsair’s Utility Engine application. The software further allows users to reprogram every key individually should they want to create alternate commands, macros or dynamic lighting effects.

Other noteworthy features include 100 percent anti-ghosting with full key rollover and large font keycaps. Unfortunately, due to its size, there isn’t a USB hub or built-in headphone jack.

Speaking of, the board measures 365mm x 171mm x 41mm (14.37” x 6.73” x 1.61”) and tips the scales at 1.12kg (2.47 pounds).

Across the top of the board is where you’ll find a full set of dedicated volume and media keys, an addition one might not expect on a keyboard designed with portability in mind.

The Corsair K63 compact mechanical gaming keyboard is available as of writing priced at $79.99. You can pick it up through Corsair’s online store or at various authorized retailers.

Permalink to story.

Without a numpad, its desirability is seriously degraded.
*Facepalm*

That's why the K70 exists..............

Different people, different market needs.

Exactly. In fact if I were Corsair I would have gone 60% and removed the bezels on the side of the keyboard. They take up unnecessary space. Could have also done a removable cable as well. An attached cable can be a problem when shoving the thing in a bag. That or done a retractable cable.

Is it made from "aircraft grade" aluminium? If it's is then it's very important to state that. Aircraft grade aluminium sounds so much more "wow" than just plain old aluminium.

Actually Aircraft Grade aluminum is noticeably stronger with greater resistant to penetration ..... which is suppose is beneficial if you're using the keyboard to beat your little brother senseless when he touches the computer with those peanut-butter & jelly encrusted fingers that seem to be everywhere ......

So near and yet so far. This is the keyboard I want but I want it with Cherry MX Blue switches. Can this be ordered customized?

So near and yet so far. This is the keyboard I want but I want it with Cherry MX Blue switches. Can this be ordered customized?

I'm like 99.9999% sure they will eventually release other switch colors. They're probably testing the market acceptance or getting their supply chain set up.

Or you can do the complicated route and just buy a bag of switches and solder them yourself.

That is so when you ragequit a game and throw your keyboard in anger, it can simply fly out of the window.
Yeah... I never thought of that, makes sense, now I understand why. I thought that 'aircraft grade aluminium' was just marketing crap to sell more units, I was looking at the picture in 4:3 and not 18:9 aspect ratio. ;)

Back