Cougar's latest gaming chair comes with an integrated RGB fan

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: Gaming chairs have gone to ambitious lengths to ensure maximum user comfort for years. Meanwhile, large, colorful fans have long been a staple of RGB design for gaming gear, so combining the two trends makes sense, but do people sweat enough while gaming to justify a 200mm fan?

Computer gear company Cougar recently unveiled the NxSys Aero, a unique gaming chair with a large fan behind the user's back. The 200 x 200 x 20mm 12V fan sits underneath adaptive backrest cushioning, with a hollow space between an elastomeric mesh and a ventilated back cover for increased softness.

In true RGB fashion, owners can customize its lighting scheme. Controls on the side enable switching between multiple available colors, including a shifting pattern, and two fan speeds: 400RPM (emitting an estimated 13.2 decibels) and 800RPM (24.8dB).

Couger's upcoming cooled chair doesn't require a power outlet. Instead, it uses an internally installed 5V USB power bank. The company hasn't provided much information concerning the power supply besides saying it is available separately.

Aside from the fan, the NxSys Aero specs appear typical for a high-end gaming chair. It includes a physiotherapy-grade lumbar pillow, an optional magnetic head cushion, a scalloped bucket seat, PVC leather upholstery, adjustable height and armrest, and can recline from 90 to 150 degrees.

The NxSys Aero ships from Amazon and Newegg before the end of October for $399 in the US and €449 in select European markets. Black and orange options are available.

Users who prefer cooling from under the seat can check out Thermaltake's X Comfort Air series, which the company introduced in 2017. For customers who only want RGB lights, AMD offers the PL4500 for $529.

Other companies have far more extravagant options. Acer, Cluvens, Razer, and Cooler Master have previously introduced chairs that look more like cockpits, with integrated desks and ultrawide monitors. Bethesda and Tempur recently collaborated on a gaming cockpit to promote the former's recently released space RPG, Starfield. However, that was a unique build that will go up for auction after a Starfield promotional tour.

Gaming comfort doesn't end with chairs. Japanese company Bauhutte offers a series of beds and mattresses geared to the gamer. Combined with the company's desks and shelves, Bauhutte's motorized bed ensures users can transition between sleep and gaming (or work) with minimal effort.

Permalink to story.

I used to have back problems sitting in summers close to open windows.
I wonder if a fan in a chair blowing into my back for hours could have a similar effect.

I don't see why anyone would want it, as opposed to the other model with the fan beneath, as it should be.

The fan is positioned incorrectly. It should be in the seat. Who designs these things?

Hey look, its that SAME failed racing chair being sold for years to PC gamerz who think they are major ballers because "gaming chair".

I wonder if the chinese warehouses full of those things will ever run out.

The fan is positioned incorrectly. It should be in the seat. Who designs these things?
Some gamers fart too often for that to be practical.

Seriously though, if this thing is durable enough, isn't too loud (it will sound louder since you are in physical contact with it), and it isn't too annoying to charge, it could actually be a nice feature to have.

I don't understand. This is honestly one of the most pointless stupid ideas, ever.
I give up on humanity.
Send in the clowns...
Is this what happens when people have everything? We just build random crap destined for landfill.

How about something practical, like a cup holder for my coffee or energy drink...here is an idea for you Cougar, how about using hoverboard tech in your chair, and then the chair will move in the direction I lean....would make for some great office chair races.

Guys, NEVER buy gaming chairs. This is ergonomic disaster.
first of all, cubic shape is good for cars because you have there a side force. You won't have such a force in front of desk, so this is failed feature making more worse than good.
second, a pillow for back adjustment, or lack of lower back adjustment, is straight madness.
third, limited arm rest option, no rotation and adjusting left - right means it is good only if people have length of arms. no, we dont, we need more adjustments there
Add lack of sit control, if you cant move it forward/back, then you will have do adjust to the sit regardless of the legs size. It is sit which have to adjust to you, not the other way.

Get a proper, work oriented chair (herman, steelcase, or similar), even a 2nd hand will be usually better than this piece of trash.

Back