Could someone identify my noise culprit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalbin83

i just recently finished building a new system and i have the following fans installed: 1) Antec Earthwatts 650w PSU, 2) 80mm stock case fan (Athenatech tower), 3) Evercool EC-PT12-9525EA 95mm CPU cooler and 4) Apevia 80mm case fan.

Basically the system stays at 'medium' noise but does not go into 'low noise' mode after a certain period of time which I am used to with previous systems. I am also wondering if my measly 2GB of RAM could be making the PSU work harder thus producing more noise? I have an Intel Q6600 on an Asus P5K motherboard with a WD 750GB HDD. Only other component is a cheap XFX video card.

Are the Earthwatts notoriously loud? I'd just like to knock the noise level down a bit without resorting to silencers.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

That's a hard one for because I don't have hands on experience with most of your components. If you have your previous PSU and/or any other parts that you can install on a temporary basis to weed out your part. I know that some PSU's make more noise when they are trying to cool down a hot board. CPU fans can run at various noise levels. Noise is usually the fans. I don't believe that your 2 Gigs of ram is the cause. Good Luck

Well i have a Earthwatts PSU and that thing is whisper quiet ever when gaming so i don't think its the PSU. Like pdyckman said i am leaning towards fans bcauz they are the "most" noisy in a system. But it is hard to really pinpoint the culprit. So do you run any strenuous games or application on your computer?

Well Yea mine is. They are energy efficient so they cut the power down when not in use and are designed not to produce alot of heat and thus not much 2 no noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back