Could "try before you buy" be the next big tech trend?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

motorola moto storage moto x

Motorola recently released a 64GB version of its flagship Moto X smartphone and launched a creative – albeit brief – promotion to put the device into the hands of potential buyers.

Under the “try then buy” offer, customers were allowed to put down one penny toward the purchase of any Moto X and try it risk-free for two weeks. The offer applied to any Moto X, even those customized through Moto Maker, and if you weren’t happy with it for any reason, simply send it back without any obligations.

Unfortunately, the deal only lasted for about 24 hours over the weekend as the company has since sold its promo allotment. It’s unclear how many phones Motorola was offering in the promotion but selling out in a day is always a good sign.

Could “try before you buy” be the next big thing in gadgets? Maybe.

We saw Google launch a similar promotion back in April with Google Glass. The company allowed some potential buyers to check out the array of frame styles and colors before committing to a purchase through a home try-on program. Participants were sent non-functional versions of Glass in multiple colors and frame styles to see which they liked best.

In Motorola’s case, however, it’s much more likely that Google is simply trying to clear out old inventory before handing Motorola off to Lenovo (or before closing its Texas assembly plant later this year). As such, it’s also likely that we could see similar promotions crop up in the not-too-distant future.

Permalink to story.

I think it's a good idea. With phones nowadays, they're all so similar people are going to like whatever they try first. If people were really willing to compare smartphones all that closely I bet HTC would be outselling Samsung. Not to mention how great this would be for new smartphone owners.

I think it's a good idea.

Me too!

If people were really willing to compare smartphones all that closely I bet HTC would be outselling Samsung.

Not so sure about this though. HTC used to be cutting edge, but recently have used less-than top-end hardware and features. For example, the HTC One (m8) uses a slower processor, smaller and less PPI display, and has less RAM than the S5 or LG G3. The one possible advantage is has is the aluminum case, but that also leads to loss of signal quality, especially if you have some reason to cover the slits through which HTC allows signals to escape/come in (such as in your car's cup holder).

Also, unless you're a smart-phone 'purist', I have found that the large majority like the gimmicky software features of Samsung. Personally, I buy the highest end hardware (since it needs to last me 2-3 years) and then root it, unlock it, wipe it, and install CM (or other mod of choice).

Someone still will get users data so yeah, this will be probably next "big" thing.

Me too!

Not so sure about this though. HTC used to be cutting edge, but recently have used less-than top-end hardware and features. For example, the HTC One (m8) uses a slower processor, smaller and less PPI display, and has less RAM than the S5 or LG G3. The one possible advantage is has is the aluminum case, but that also leads to loss of signal quality, especially if you have some reason to cover the slits through which HTC allows signals to escape/come in (such as in your car's cup holder).

Also, unless you're a smart-phone 'purist', I have found that the large majority like the gimmicky software features of Samsung. Personally, I buy the highest end hardware (since it needs to last me 2-3 years) and then root it, unlock it, wipe it, and install CM (or other mod of choice).

Last year that was true. The HTC One (M7) used the Snapdragon 600 while the LG G2 used the 800. This year both the M8 and G3 use the 801. PPI is a wash. no one can see the difference between 440 and 520 or whatever both these phones have. I would expect having a phone that isn't 1920x1080 nowadays may mean apps might not be available.
I'm not ripping on the G3, I think it proves my point... whatever people try first they'll like. I just think if people were able to really try out phones Samsung would be in trouble. If you want the premium case (and my M7 has never had an issue with signal, nor have I read about any issues) and the low light camera, buy HTC. If you want all the top end hardware, awesome battery and high MP camera go with LG (or even Sony). Where does that leave Samsung? I don't see their competitive edge. LG will always beat them on specs... their phones come out a few months later. HTC will beat them on design, both in case and UI.

If Motorola can squeak in there by getting people to try their phone first, then good for them... it may make others wish they tried it first.

Me too!

Last year that was true. The HTC One (M7) used the Snapdragon 600 while the LG G2 used the 800. This year both the M8 and G3 use the 801. PPI is a wash. no one can see the difference between 440 and 520 or whatever both these phones have. I would expect having a phone that isn't 1920x1080 nowadays may mean apps might not be available.
I'm not ripping on the G3, I think it proves my point... whatever people try first they'll like. I just think if people were able to really try out phones Samsung would be in trouble. If you want the premium case (and my M7 has never had an issue with signal, nor have I read about any issues) and the low light camera, buy HTC. If you want all the top end hardware, awesome battery and high MP camera go with LG (or even Sony). Where does that leave Samsung? I don't see their competitive edge. LG will always beat them on specs... their phones come out a few months later. HTC will beat them on design, both in case and UI.

If Motorola can squeak in there by getting people to try their phone first, then good for them... it may make others wish they tried it first.
You have a point there but HTC will always end up second best to Samsung simply because Samsung has the resources to offer a smartphone at every price point in every single country in the world whereas HTC and the rest just simply can't do that.

I like this. This way I can get any flagship smartphone for 2 weeks without paying. After 2 weeks I would probably get bored anyway.

What? Did you even read the specs? HTC One M8 has more PPI than S5, display is 0.1 inch smaller which doesn't make a slightest difference. Both phones use Snapdragon 801, difference in GHz is also not noticable since it's not all about GHz, like in PCs. LG G3 has higher res than both S5 and One M8 but judging from the reviews it is just draining battery and slowing down performace.

Last edited:
What? Did you even read the specs? HTC One M8 has more PPI than S5, display is 0.1 inch smaller which doesn't make a slightest difference. Both phones use Snapdragon 801, difference in GHz is also not noticable since it's not all about GHz, like in PCs. LG G3 has higher res than both S5 and One M8 but judging from the reviews it is just draining battery and slowing down performace.

Yes, I did: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S5,HTC-One-M8/phones/8202,8242

I missed one thing - the PPI, sorry about that, but 0.1 means smaller, and 200 mhz difference also means slower (even if CPU is the same model). So tell me again where I'm wrong?

Not noticeable and not a difference aren't the same.

Things I didn't even bring up - water proof, lighter, longer battery life, etc.

Sorry but maybe Samsung is winning the cell-phone wars because *gasp* they are just better? I think if people had try before you buy they might switch even more to Samsung because they will see how what they are losing going to other cell phones.

Yes, I did: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S5,HTC-One-M8/phones/8202,8242

I missed one thing - the PPI, sorry about that, but 0.1 means smaller, and 200 mhz difference also means slower (even if CPU is the same model). So tell me again where I'm wrong?

Not noticeable and not a difference aren't the same.

Things I didn't even bring up - water proof, lighter, longer battery life, etc.

Sorry but maybe Samsung is winning the cell-phone wars because *gasp* they are just better? I think if people had try before you buy they might switch even more to Samsung because they will see how what they are losing going to other cell phones.
No, you said HTC is using less than top end hardware and the way you said it looks like it's a big deal. So what's more high end than Snapdragon 801? CPU clock speeds don't always matter (Look at AMD and Intel), and CPU in One m8 and S5 are a tad bit different. Now 0.1 does mean smaller, but you make it look like bigger screen is always better and they are behind on something. You also said that One m8 has less RAM which is also wrong, both have 2Gigs. I agree with you that Samsung is winning the smartphone wars, but saying that One M8 is behind is dumb since it even got bigger score on reviews than S5.

Back