Cpu coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfm1200

just want to know what people feel about cpu cooler fans.
i'm building my first system and want to know is it necessary to have a cpu cooler fan or only a heatsink type.
the box will be basic, asus p4s8x-x, intel p4 2.4ghz, 256ddram, geforce5200 128mb, it won't be used for gaming.

thx mfm

ps. just found this forum so haven't read it thoroughly.
probably will find the answer within.
thx

It depends on what kind of heatsink you're getting, but in general, I'd say that the fan is needed and not an option...
But you can get a large heatsink with a heatpipe solution which can keep some cpu's cool enough...

If you want a quiet box, try using a Zalman cooler... They're usually shipping with a large fan which run quite slowly, but still produce enough airflow...
(You can of course adjust how fast the fan goes yourself)

For the system you're planning to build, you won't need any special cooling, so you can use the stock cooler which comes with the cpu if you buy it retail...

Before the Zalman came along, one of the more popular heatsinks was also the Thermalright SLK-800U/900. They support up to 92mm fans as well.

Definately a good choice if you're interested.

the Zalman CPNS7000A-AlCu (or the Zalman CPNS-7000ACu which is heavier because of being all copper) are great cpu coolers. the Zalman is supposed to be better at cooling the cpu at lower fan speeds than the Thermalright slk-800u/900 (with the stock fan included with Thermalright heatsink). the Thermalright and Zalman were my two choices for my P4. i went with the Zalman because it was cheaper for me. both cooling solutions look mighty cool though (no pun intended).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back