CPU fan.... FAILED!!! dun dun duuuun

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright so my cpu fan failed and i had my comp runnin at close to 50 degrees and it even jumped to 70 and one point. This only occured a handfull of times before i fixed it, but is it likely that there is lasting processor damage

holler at your boy
dipset
harlem

Does it boot and is it stable? If 'yes' to both of those, you're most likely in good shape and very, very lucky.

what is the danger border? 50 degrees? also anyone know why the computer doesnt pick up on my systems fan speed? it just says 0 rpm in bios

the danger zone depends on what cpu, athlons are said to take up to 80C i dont know about P4's. i like to keep mine below 55C.

mines a p4 2.66, it hits about 50 after a gaming marathon, is it worth sticking in another system fan?

You should be fine if it works now - I've never heard of "damage", it either works or it doesnt :p

See i got this alien ware comp. and once my fan failed and it reached such a hot temp they wanted me to mail the whole thing in cuz the prccessor could be damaged. I said 'hell no my comp eats those, plus i got an AMD which suppousedly can run hotter anyway' and i replaced the fan myself in like 5 minutes and i dont know diddley about nothing when it comes to comps. Now everything works just fine, they just like hasslin me i guess

Edited because of language
--Mictlantecuhtli

their just there to suck money out of you, they grown so big they dont give a toss about a single customer, ahh capitalism

Don't worry, you are AOK. 70 C is still well under the limit for all newer CPUs out. Athlon XPs and Bartons are 80 to 85 C, p4s are in the same group. As long as you have it working good now, your chip should be just fine.

Is your BIOS still picking up your System fan speed? If not check that the red, black and yellow coloured wire that comes out of the fan is plugged into your motherboard above the fan. :)

the lowest max temp i have seen for any cpu these days is 85°C for the Athlon XP 2400+, which I have. It runs at 59°C 99% of the time so that's good. Even on really hot days the heatsink does a damn-good job of keeping it steady 59°C, and that's with the fan throttled down to keep down the noise :D

I have a Cooler Master Aero7+ if you're wondering... excellent heatsink IMHO.

P4s have also included a new technology that will underclock the proc in the event that it starts to overheat. I don't recommend anyone testing this by pulling their heatsink or stopping their fan. Instead read the info below and run to Tom's Hardware and see if he still has the video available.

The following excerpt from the link below:
Talking about the heat, we can monitor the core temperature of Intel's processor using hardware or software. The technology developed at Intel can change the processor usage to reduce the temperature if an overheat occurs. This is a really great technology. A video done by Tom's Hardware recently shown what happens when we take the heatsink off a processor running Quake 3. The Pentium 4 2.0GHz and the Pentium 3 both survived running the Quake 3 timedemo, by just slowing down but the temperature remains stable. Comparing it to the Athlons, a few seconds after removing the heatsinks, both processor started to smoke and the temperature is at a crazy 700 Celsius!

http://www.hwextreme.com/reviews/processor/intel_2ghz/page2.shtml?42872

BTW, the yellow wire on your CPU fan tells the RPM to the motherboard. Verify it is properly connected. If it still does not function, the wire may be broken.

Bug

or your fan only has two wires. the light one for power and black for ground.

anyway, i've tried one p4 without a fan.. and automatically shutdown once overheated(without fan). dunno if it was the motherboard feature or so...ain't that sure

Most fans run on a 12+ volt power supply. I don't know of any power supplies that give more than this. The only option is to purchase a fan that offers a higher Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM) which usually means a higher RPM. Most fans also run off 12 volts and anything higher will burn them up. If the fan plugs into the motherboard, you might plug it directly into the power supply plugs and verify it is attached to the yellow and black wires. (The 12 volt and ground.)
Hope that helps.
Bug

CPU fans have the following colour coded wires....

Red: 12v Power..

Black: Ground...

Yellow: (if present) Sensor...

I have a Thermaltake Volcano 9, which comes with variable speed control... either manual or automatic. It takes it's power directly from the PSU, (via an adapter cable), and the yellow wire is the only cable connected to the mobo...

Noisy as f*** when on full tilt!! But it does it's job....

Recommended for those wanting something to keep those little processors cool! This is fitted to a Duron 1300.....:grinthumb
Sorry Rory.... but I'm not a geek..... yet!:D

Creature is correct. I should have explained better... From the power supply, there are four wires. Two black, one red, and one yellow. The red is the +5v and the yellow is the +12v.
Using the examle above, you would want to connect the fans red to the PSU yellow, the fans black to the PSU black, and the fans yellow to the MotherBoard connector. I apologize for any confusion.
Bug

isnt the system fan the one at the back of the pc, or is that a case fan, thats the one i want to speed up, sorry if i got it wrong

asdf

ive seen an amd XP and a p4, both older and new models run at over 120 degrees, cool down and b fine, ive had my own amd 2100 get up to 90 and its still fine, they can take alot more heat then the companys give them

Mine went up to 90 once but I wouldn't recommend doing jack all about it cause the CPU wont last long at 90C..........mine didn't:dead:

Okay, let me get this straight. You pay $100 or more for a processor. You pay $8- $45 for a heat sink to keep it cooler. The fan fails and it overheats, you become to "cheap" to pay some $$$ to put on a new fan to save your $100+ investment. I fail to see the logic in doing that.

Most of the motherboards that I have used have built in alarms that signal a fan failure, CPU overheat condition. P4's have a built in thermal switching sensor that avoids the above conditions.

Just remember that a CPU won't work if you let out the magic smoke. Keep it cool, buy the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back