CPU not recognized at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever my computer starts up, instead of showing the CPU type it just says "Unknown CPU type". Also, when I go into the device manager it also says "Unknown CPU type"

Is there a way for Windows or my computer in general to recognize the CPU.

If windows cannot, will this cause problems running my computer?

I can bring the computer up, and can use IE or check my email, but I use something that uses a lot of resources the computer crashes.

Windows XP OS

Just last night. I had to rebuild the computer and reformat the HD. I think you're right about the MB though. I might have to go through the utility CD.

if it worked before then the MB supported it. the bios doesn't get unflashed or anything because of a reformat...

I had same problem with my mobo when i put new cpu in it did not support it, I flashed the bios and its now recognised as a 2000+ although its a 2600+. The system is running fine though.

Perhaps you need an update on your bios ?

What did you do when you "rebuilt" the computer? You may have switched some wires or accidentally hit something...

Krugger is right, a reformat won't do anything. It's something with your BIOS/Mobo. Check your connections!

And also check out the capacitors on your mobo, make sure they have flat tops ;) If they don't, you have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back