CPU shows low performance & always at 100% load

Marty9231

Hello!
A few days ago, I tried tweaking my system using a "gaming tweaks to improve performance" kind of guide. One of the steps I followed was to 'unpark' my CPU cores using an unparking utility. I believe my cores were already unparked, as the application already showed "100%" which it should be at when unparked, but I did it anyway.

Ever since that day, even when playing fairly easy-to-handle and non-taxing games, my CPU hits a solid 100% load, all the time. I am completely at a loss of how to fix this, even more so if it is not caused by the unparking utility.

Relevant Specs:
  • Intel Core i5 4670K (OC @ 4.5GHz, Vcore = 1.300v)
    • It is about a year old at this point
    • I have only recently overclocked it, but these issues did not start until much later
  • 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
  • Windows 10 Ultimate (or whatever they call the good one these days)
  • Games include Overwatch and Battlefield 1 (taxing, I know, but it still happens where friends with worse CPUs don't have it happen)

It makes no difference if the games run at ultra or at low settings, CPU usage is at 100% (measured with both Task Manager and CPU-Z).

As an addition to this, I tried stress testing my CPU with CPU-Z using its benchmarking tool, and I found something alarming. While a benchmark using CPU-Z gives my processor a score of around 7500 points in multi threading, a continuous stress test sees the performance drop to at most 2500 points.

As a more conclusive test, I ran the Cinebench R15.0 benchmark for my CPU, which resulted in a score of 369 cb. A quick lookup revealed that other systems using my processor reached scores of 500-600 cb, even without an overclock. This leads me to believe that something is seriously wrong with my processor, and I wonder if anything can be done to correct or fix this.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: After running Cinebench for a second time, it came out with a score of 621 cb and everything seems to work just fine. CPU-Z also no longer shows a reduced multi thread score. This confuses me even more, as it seems to be random when the CPU decides to perform or not.

Last edited:
Hopefully it is fixed.. I did notice a thread which suggested no real difference - especially for Win8 and Win10 - though it may make a difference in earlier Win OS.

Hello!
A few days ago, I tried tweaking my system using a "gaming tweaks to improve performance" kind of guide. One of the steps I followed was to 'unpark' my CPU cores using an unparking utility. I believe my cores were already unparked, as the application already showed "100%" which it should be at when unparked, but I did it anyway.

Ever since that day, even when playing fairly easy-to-handle and non-taxing games, my CPU hits a solid 100% load, all the time. I am completely at a loss of how to fix this, even more so if it is not caused by the unparking utility.

Relevant Specs:
  • Intel Core i5 4670K (OC @ 4.5GHz, Vcore = 1.300v)
    • It is about a year old at this point
    • I have only recently overclocked it, but these issues did not start until much later
  • 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
  • Windows 10 Ultimate (or whatever they call the good one these days)
  • Games include Overwatch and Battlefield 1 (taxing, I know, but it still happens where friends with worse CPUs don't have it happen)

It makes no difference if the games run at ultra or at low settings, CPU usage is at 100% (measured with both Task Manager and CPU-Z).

As an addition to this, I tried stress testing my CPU with CPU-Z using its benchmarking tool, and I found something alarming. While a benchmark using CPU-Z gives my processor a score of around 7500 points in multi threading, a continuous stress test sees the performance drop to at most 2500 points.

As a more conclusive test, I ran the Cinebench R15.0 benchmark for my CPU, which resulted in a score of 369 cb. A quick lookup revealed that other systems using my processor reached scores of 500-600 cb, even without an overclock. This leads me to believe that something is seriously wrong with my processor, and I wonder if anything can be done to correct or fix this.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: After running Cinebench for a second time, it came out with a score of 621 cb and everything seems to work just fine. CPU-Z also no longer shows a reduced multi thread score. This confuses me even more, as it seems to be random when the CPU decides to perform or not.
Open task manager and see what's using all your resources

Back