Cpu shutting down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzymattnasty

running a lot of music programs with 24/48 waves and midi keys as well
notice that it runs smooth until it gets heated up then it starts wigging out and just shuts down i check the temp when its starts messing up its up to 69
have pci fans pulling air our as well one in the back of the case and one in the front and standard cpu fan what can i do ????

running :)
asus p5e-vm hdmi motherboard
intel core 2 cpu e8400
4gb of ram but its only reading 3.1 ?
350 sata main drive
36gb sata raptor drive
dvd
firewire audio interface
xp
anybody know what i can and cant do? or what the problem might be

You can reseat your current heatsink with a better thermal compound, buy a new heatsink all together, or load your case up with fans and hope for the best.

I'd just buy an aftermarket heatsink unless you applied the thermal compound yourself (as in, there wasn't a pad on the heatsink, or you removed it and had things your way). You might of applied too much if this is the case.

thanks any suggestions on a good heatsink? and compund? or any will do?
and also is this bad thats it shuts off like it does? or is it expected running what im running?

Generally, unless you overclock the stock heatsink should provide sufficient enough cooling. I'd make sure you have it installed properly before buying a new one.

It's not to be expected, no. It should not be overheating. That said is it bad in the sense that you don't want your chip to hit high enough temperatures where it throttles or your system shuts down. However, if it is overheating, better to shut down than to melt into it's socket :/.

Check out Newegg.com for heatsinks and thermal compound. There are plenty to choose from.

By the way, the 32bit version of XP won't detect 4GB of RAM, 3.1GB is about the best you're going to get with that OS.

Your processor is probably just over heating, It will automatically shut itself down to avoid damage like Zeno has said.

A good thermal compound is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

I recommend Arctic Silver for thermal pastes

A good heatsink is (Just be sure you have room, this thing is huge):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019

You can go for something cheaper but as for choosing from a manufacturer I recommend stuff from ZALMAN

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2010110574+50001647&name=Zalman+Tech+Co.,+Ltd

Thats the list for CPU heat sinks from ZALMAN, lots of goodies to chose from ;3

Not to bash on Zalman products, they are nice indeed. However for performance:cost you can get something that provides similar cooling capabilities (if not, better) for less cash.

What is your budget jazzymattnasty?

Zenosincks said:
Not to bash on Zalman products, they are nice indeed. However for performance:cost you can get something that provides similar cooling capabilities (if not, better) for less cash.

What is your budget jazzymattnasty?
i just fixed i think haha
i bought a off brand fan the dude at frys was try to sell me some ill *** zalman wich i was down for when i seen it but then i saw the price haha
but it seems okay??? the only thing now is i get a cpu fan error message on start up and i check the temp with the motherboard programs and it says it 250C??? but its not shutting down ? and i check in the bios on start up and it says its 3 c???

Zenosincks said:
...Okay, and is it attached to the proper place on your motherboard?
define "proper place" haha jk
yeah it is now , no cpu fan error but the temp still reads 250 celsius ? is this just my computer tripping?

Your PC would not be on if the CPU temperature were 250C, I'd expect incorrect readings, yes.

250C is roughly 180C (356F) higher than the maximum temperature your CPU can run at. The system would either be shutting off or you'd have a CPU melting to your motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back