CPU Temp!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoMo1988

I've been wondering this forawhile, and i've looked it up online they say my processor can run at a max temp. of 69C and mine runs underload upto 67C. Is this gonna damage my computer. It's a prescott core which run really fricken hot. I am using silver thermal.

What you really want to know is, is that a throttled temp or just hitting max 69 at 100% cpu usage.

You need to run something cpu intensive in a window and get task manager up and look at 'performance' and see what cpu usage versus temp.

If you are getting throttled at that temp, heat sink is NOT well installed OR working poorly.

If you aren't getting throttled, same thing ONLY now you know.

:)

My cpu has thermal throttling and i have it enabled, but i have never been throttled though i've never ever hit the 69C mark on 67C. and i've tried placing the cpu on 2-3 each time with different amount of paste, and making sure the heatsink didnt tip or go in wrong. so would 67C be damaging. i'm kind of a newb when it comes to temps. and right now im running prime95 and watching the temps closley.

Like I said, you should be concerned with cpu usage as well.

edit: how do you know you haven't had throttling ?

I've downloaded a program called throttlewatch. I've watched it close will i ran strenous tests. and at the moment during the tests im at about 60% usage at 54-59C

alright i downloaded it and im gonna try it now.

so far it has not hit 70% and im running spybot, throttlewatch, sensorview pro, mozilla firefox, avira antivirus. anyother programs?

Well, I believe it SHOULD have hit 100% - thus I think you are throttled.

Any other people with a P4 willing to report their cpu usage with Spybot ?

I have not been throttled my cpu is still at 3.4 never went down or up, the throttling never kicked in, and my cpu has hyper-threading

Here this is what i will do, I will go into my bios disable throttlewatch and we will se the results.

Ok i disabled thermal throttling and i am running spybot, throttlewatch, mozilla, avira antivirus, sensorview pro, and the task manager all of which have not hit 100%. any other ideas, what speed is your processor is it a northwood or a prescott?

Yo, MoMo 1988 if I were you I would switch to a different CPU cooler. I have a Pentium 4 3.8 GHz CPU with a themaltake blue orb II cooler and on full load the temp never rises above 45 C. Also try running ATItool and see how your processor reacts.

Prescott 3.6 - it is funny because I get 100% with Spybot and with AVG but not with AdAware or Kaspersky.

What you might do is re-anable throttling (safety) and try some test program that REALLY tests your comp. CMH here recommended something called orthos - I don't know if it is useful or not.

by the way im using a socket 478. and it is overclocked from a 3.0 to a 3.4, i'll ty orthos.

perfect 100%

hmm whatever. If your using and ATI card cant you overclock the memory clock speed to like 1800 safely with good cooling?

well i'm only using the stock cooling on the sapphire x1650pro and it works really good good fan never once gets close to over heating. i guess i could give it a shot.

i just ran it for about an hour without thermal throttling and it never went passed 65C(no errors) so is that hot or not?

pedal to the metal......

Nero Recode ( when it's running the advanced analysis) will sometimes give you 100% processor usage, but only for 10 minutes or so.

Mines a socket 478 at 69C max temp. does it mean it will run up to 69C without hurting it and anything beyond that is gonna start to damage it?

I just ran the Spybot....

I,m uploading a screen cap. My test conditions are Emachines T-5026, Prescott P4 @ 3.06 (stock), Intel integrated graphics GM900. The screen cap is from "Intel Desktop Utilities Light" version 2. something.

Attachments

• Spybot run001_edited-5.jpg
    Spybot run001_edited-5.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 5
Basically, yes.

BUT, like all things, when run at the MAX they don't last as long.

and Cap'n: my 3.6 hits about 54-55 at 100 - similar operation.

:)

it seems as though it runs cooler when i overclock it, but i guess ill be bying myself a new heatsink and fan what about this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back