CPU Upgrade for Dell Inspiron1100

Status
Not open for further replies.

the grip

I have a Dell Inspiron 1100. I have done many upgrades and I'm pretty
proficient at installing my own hardware. I've decided I would like to upgrade
the CPU. Here's what I have....Intel Celeron 2.0ghz 400mhzFSB 128KBcache Socket
is 478mPGA and the manufacturer is Northwood. I would like to upgrade to the
best Pentium4 processor that my motherboard can handle, but the only information
that I can get on the motherboard is the Chipset (845GL). I've already tried
contacting Dell and that is all they will tell me since they do not support CPU
upgrades.

I ran a couple 3rd Party Programs to tell you what hardware is on your system,
how's it running, and where you can upgrade. (PC Wizard 2008 and InSpecs.exe) I was given information that my motherboard could support a CPU up to 533mhzFSB and 2.8ghz or higher Processor. Is this true? What do I have to watch to make sure the processor would work on my Motherboard. Please Help - I have been trying to research this for over a week and keep getting different answers depending on the website I visit.

I have read many of the posts here and can't find one to match my needs. Also I don't do anything special with the computer and it is way past the warranty date. Just want extra speed for multitasking.

Your Dell motherboard is weak at best... Upgrading the CPU on a 533MHz Front Side Bus will not give you much speed gain. You will gain much more by maxing out your system memory

cpu

Yea I already did that...It is maxed out at 1Gig. I really just wanted to know if it is possible to use a 533FSB on a 400. Do motherboards usually support a min and max FSB? I was thinking that if I increased the processing speed along with the cache size that would allow me to have better multitasking capabilities. Thank you for responding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back