Crazy things to do with a computer

sw123

So here is some crazy hypothetical scenarios for what would happen to the computer

1. If I were to boot to windows, then open the case and pull out 1 memory stick(assuming 2 of them, both working)??

2. How about if I pulled out the CPU fan plug while its still running?!?

3. How about pulling out a small capacitor then replacing it with a little wire??

4. Maybe just pulling CPU power out from the motherboard while the computer is still on??

These are all hypothetical, not a question. Maybe a hint of curiosity there. Maybe someone's question could be answered here, I don't know :)

Thanx!!

sw123

P.S. I know its been awhile since I've posted on TS but I have seen many radical changes to everything here. I know Howard is gone, and many members he deleted were gone, and it almost seems like TS is falling apart. I don't know, I've been out of touch for a while I guess.

I guess I can say I'm glad I wasn't deleted :)

SW123

I think the forum is going well
New members all the time

And just about all posts answered
I also think the new forum layout is better (for what it's worth)
And I'm glad for the rules here, that will penalize Members who cause or post incorrectly (according to TOS)

I believe this forum could be one of the best in the world. And I feel as others get familiar with it, the word will spread.

Just my thoughts.

Oh and don't wash your computer!

1. If I were to boot to windows, then open the case and pull out 1 memory stick(assuming 2 of them, both working)??

2. How about if I pulled out the CPU fan plug while its still running?!?

3. How about pulling out a small capacitor then replacing it with a little wire??

4. Maybe just pulling CPU power out from the motherboard while the computer is still on??

1) I've tried something similar, but I plugged it in instead of pulling it out... I got a really bad burn on my finger tip and my computer started beeping. Oh also, I had different speeds on the RAM. :)

2) If a older processor, like a Pentium or something, then it won't really do anything because it's a Pentium can run without a fan at a stable temperature.

3) Oh my... record a video when you do that one. :D

4) Explosion, etc.

Wait until your best friend gets his 4870X2, Far Cry 2, and a Q6600, then run over, rip off the side of the case, and upon examining the FIRST loading screen of the game, simultaniously rip out the GPU and processor. O.O

Imagine the look on their face...

1. Might fry the RAM, probably not, but it might, depending on how clean you were able to pull it out. Higher chance you'd screw up something on the motherboard, but again I don't know how high that is. As TimeParadoX said, putting a stick in while running will kill something. You'd certainly lock up Windows though, at the very least.

2. Not much. Anything made in the last 5 years or so will just throttle down as the temp gets higher, probably equilibrating at some slow speed so you'd have terrible performance. The chip itself should be fine though, its the built in Thermal Protection.

3. Capacitor? Something probably wouldn't work, but it might be something that you wouldn't notice until you did something that utilized that part of your motherboard. If it was a resistor, you might get lucky and have everything still work fine. I don't really know on this one though, everything I said could be wrong.

4. Pulling the CPU itself? Everything would stop. I don't know what would be fried though. Again I think removing something is probably less harmful than plugging something in while power is on.

Don't unplug the hard drive while it's defragmenting.

*PC Case open HDD laying out of it's drive bay*
Friend: OSHT!!!1111
Me: What.
*Looks down in shock and sees the power to the HDD unplugged*
*Plugs back in and PC returns to normal*
*Next day clicking sound develops and HDD dies*

This (understand this is a case of extreme boredom, we actually opened the machine to get out a working floppy disk drive. My friend joked on how to put it back together and we decided video taping it would be silly.) [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0anQIwSLH8[/ame]

lol the dodgy brothers :D

But you didn't turn it on (actually don't turn it on!)
You might want to give it proudly back to the customer now
And payment of service rendered, for a more than satisfied build.
Did you require any drivers for that? Like a tip-truck driver or something!

I'm writing all this down for reference on how to put a computer back together
Do you happen to have a laptop guide too? There's always one screw left over.

All I've done is accidentally turn on a PC with no heatsink on top of the CPU. It was an old Northwood P4...

It barely survived. It was too hot to touch after about 7 seconds.

I think that strange rules apply to electrical things. If it is really expensive and important it will be really easily broken by the smallest accident. If it is old and worthless it will become nearly indestructable.

I found a pc and monitor that had been left in a skip for at least a week in the rain, took back to my workshop dried for a week turned on and the pc and the monitor worked. Not that it was any use for anything.

Has pretty similar experiences with toughened glass, if it is a new expensive shower screen or patio door, it will break really easily. If it is old, you can throw it in a skip full of rubble and it will most often not break.

:)

Back