creating a static ip and port forwarding with two routers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, can you help!

I've been meaning to reconfigure my routers and computers to create static IPs and therefore allow port forwarding properly. I've tried and tried and I've failed can anyone help?

I've got the following...

Broadband modem
Linksys RT31P2 VOIP router
Linksys WRT54G router

I have two computers hardwired to the wrt54g and I also use two laptops which are used both at home and at work. I'd ideally like to create static IPs for the two hardwired computers and keep assigned IPs for the laptops.

Currently the modem plugs straight into the WAN on the VOIP router. LAN1 on the VOIP router is then connected to the WAN on the WRT54G. The two hardwired PCs are connected to the WRT54G LAN1 and LAN2.

To make things easy, both routers are reset to factory settings.

The VOIP router is set to...
dhcp enabled
IP 192.168.15.1
Subnet 255.255.255.0
DHCP range 192.168.15.100 - 192.168.15.150

The WRT54G is set to...
dhcp enabled
IP 192.168.1.1
Subnet 255.255.255.0
DHCP range 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.150

All computers (including the laptops) are set to automatic configuration.

Once I have assigned static IPs I then need to allow port forwarding for a few programs on one of the hardwired PCs.

I know how to do port forwarding on a one router system, but not on a chained system like this. I also get confused with what numbers should go where.

Can anyone please suggest exactly what numbers and settings I should use for the VOIP router, the WRT54G router and each computer, along with what I should type in on the port forwarding on which router to enable a program on the primary hardwired PC to work on port 39803 (TCP)!

I know it's a lot but I'm stumped.

Cheers in advance,

Paul

Sorry but you are confusing me. I will be be able to help ... but lets break down what you are trying to do.

My first question is why do u have 2x DHCP servers running? Statically assign the 2x desktop PCs with an IP address and then exclude those IP addresses from the DHCP scope. Alternatively you can reserve 2x IP addresses in the scope (MAC addresses required). TURN DHCP SERVER OFF ON ONE OF THE ROUTERS! 2x DHCP servers can cause all kinds of problems within a LAN. One scope is best and to keep it neat, set the address range between 192.168.x.100 - x.150 (if you decide to go with a class C subnet).

Why do you have both WAN ports in use? It sounds like you have created a loop! From one to the other ... makes no sense to me why you did that, in my head the topology looks wrong! You would be better off with a switch rather than 2x routers for reasons like a switch doesn't require an IP address and it is not a DHCP server. But it doesn't matter, we can either NAT between the two routers (which will slow down you internet speed a little) or we can put the VOIP router into bridge mode, give the Linksys all the ISP details and have him as the gateway. Bridge mode is the easier of the two, and won't slow down your internet speed (no NAT rules).

I hope this is making sense. Reply back and fill me in a little more and we'll go from there :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back