Creative gamer mods Contra NES cartridge to propose to girlfriend

Shawn Knight

Staff member

I’ve seen some pretty clever (and geeky) marriage proposals over the years but forcing your girlfriend to beat a video game – and not a very easy one – before you’ll pop the question is on another level. That’s exactly what one guy on Reddit by the name of Equinn0xX did, hacking up an old copy of Contra in the process.

The passionate gamer (real name Quinn) admitted he knew very little about the inner workings of a Nintendo before the project, but through a lot of trial and error (and help from the Internet), he was able to make it a reality.

man gaming nes contra

In short, he had to cut a hole in the NES cartridge and remove the ROM chip. Quinn went through several chips as part of the learning experience but ultimately he was able to modify some aspects of the game, namely the character names and the ending (the proposal), and get it all put back together successfully.

man gaming nes contra

Interestingly enough, there was no question mark anywhere in the game so he had to use the ellipsis after the proposal instead of making it a question. Oh, and Konami (the game’s publisher) caught wind of the story and even posted a link to it on their Facebook page.

man gaming nes contra

One would have to assume that Amy said “yes” to the proposal although I wasn’t able to actually find confirmation of this on Reddit. Either way, this is one of the cooler geek-related proposals I’ve seen in a long while. Best of luck!

man gaming nes contra

Permalink to story.

I think I recall reading about this a few years back. I'm not certain though. :/

It's still interesting regardless. :) I know I fall short of having the talent to do such things.

That's my buddy Quinn! I can't believe the news he's making with this, pretty awesome. To be fair, they get together like once a week and play Contra all the way through, so this wasn't some evil scheme to have her beat a hard game.

Oh, and she did say yes ;)

That's my buddy Quinn! I can't believe the news he's making with this, pretty awesome. To be fair, they get together like once a week and play Contra all the way through, so this wasn't some evil scheme to have her beat a hard game.

Oh, and she did say yes ;)
Haha, I was going to say, what if she got bored and couldn't be bothered playing through :)
Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

I don't remember Contra being that good to want to play through it once a week, but each to their own :)

Back