CREATIVE XTREME MUSIC error CODE 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed a creative sound blaster xtreme music in my computer, and shows error code 12, i tried already to disable some things but still not working.

this card has been sent from creative lab, with diferent ROM, because was a incompatibility with nvidia chipset on my motherboard a8n-se sli,

what should i do. i have 3 pci slots empty, audio onboard is off, is impossible that i dont have resources for this sound card.

any help is welcome!

Started having the exact same problem as of today. I plugged out my headphones from my X-Fi xtrememusic to connect speakers. Later as i connected my headphones again they didnt work. I restarted and since then been having the CODE 12 error. I have reinstalled the drivers about 3 times and tried different pci slots. this sucks really bad cause onboard sound is crap

Error code 12 has something to do with resources. No matter how much you paid for your computer it might be low on resources at some point for reasons unknown to mortals... just accept it :)

The very first thing I would check is the onboard sound. You say it is off - but - is it off in BIOS?

Do you mind taking a screenshot of this error? This might help to find out a solution. Also - check the IRQ assigments for conflicts etc. Run msinfo32.exe from the start-->> run

Good Luck

Cant see it becoming low on resources when i havent made any changes to my system and it has worked for a year before.

Didnt see any IRQ conflicts either.

ps. I have tried disabling all the other devices under the sound tab. Onboard audio switched off from bios.

Thanks for your reply,

yeah i did switch off in the bios the sound onboard.

i dont know how to put the screen shot in this post, sorry.

but just say there isnot enought resources for the advice.

My mobo, is a8n-se sli, amd 3700, 1 gbram, gforce 7300gs 512 MB

john worm said:
I installed a creative sound blaster xtreme music in my computer, and shows error code 12, i tried already to disable some things but still not working.

this card has been sent from creative lab, with diferent ROM, because was a incompatibility with nvidia chipset on my motherboard a8n-se sli,

what should i do. i have 3 pci slots empty, audio onboard is off, is impossible that i dont have resources for this sound card.

any help is welcome!
Yes it is. You don't have enough ram. You have 1GB system memory. Your 7300GS is 512mb but only 128mb is dedicated. 384mb comes from your 1GB. Add the sound card (they don't work for free) and your out of resourses. Add another 1GB or get a better dedicated video card or nix the soundcard. I would just add the ram.

john worm.
I´d suggest trying other things before buying ram. I had 2.5gb of ram and got the same problem.
I managed to fix it in the morning by switching to another PCI slot (it didnt work) and then switching it back and this time it worked. I dont think that error has anything to do with your system RAM.

Ok, I'm glad you fixed your issue. But look at the origional poster's situation:
512mb total system memory-operating system
video card 512mb-128mb on the card. I would guess windows wouldn't take all 384mb since he has on 512mb to start.

So, he is running with 128mb system memory if windows takes 384mb
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 256mb xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 256mb
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 384mb xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 128mb

So I don't see how you could say it's not a memory issue. Remember you have 10x the amount of memory that he has. You would have to at least consider the possibility?
Installing and re-installing your drivers 3 times might have been part of your problem also. Did you use a driver cleaner?

Yes, it can be a memory issue, but i was pointing that if you can get the same error EVEN with 2.5gb of ram then it probably isn´t ram related. Low on resources could mean alot of things not related to hardware. And X-Fi requires 256mb as a minimum (that doesn´t mean windows wasn´t installed when testing that amount, im sure), never heard anyone having an insufficient amount of ram to run it.
Also, video memory has nothing to do with RAM windows uses, video memory is only used in 3D.
Of course buying more ram isn´t a bad idea, but if there´s no money to spend i´m sure the problem can be fixed without buying anything.

oh. and yes. I used driver cleaner, i think the problem was caused by me unplugging my headphones while listening to music and not switching off my PC, maybe that corrupted something...

Killer-Carrot said:
Yes, it can be a memory issue, but i was pointing that if you can get the same error EVEN with 2.5gb of ram then it probably isn´t ram related. Low on resources could mean alot of things not related to hardware. And X-Fi requires 256mb as a minimum (that doesn´t mean windows wasn´t installed when testing that amount, im sure), never heard anyone having an insufficient amount of ram to run it.
Also, video memory has nothing to do with RAM windows uses, video memory is only used in 3D.
Of course buying more ram isn´t a bad idea, but if there´s no money to spend i´m sure the problem can be fixed without buying anything.

oh. and yes. I used driver cleaner, i think the problem was caused by me unplugging my headphones while listening to music and not switching off my PC, maybe that corrupted something...
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphicsmemory.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

OK, you win. Just remember that you are saying running an operating system with 256mb available system ram is fine. And how much do you have?

Running windows xp with 256mb ram is possible, not sure about vista
I just saw that john said he had 1gb of ram. And well, it´s not possible that it is not enough to run the creative x-fi sound card.
I can bet money that getting more ram will not solve his problem....
That is the point i´m trying to make.

guyS THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND FOR YOUR TIME,

CAN ANYONE SUGGEST A DRIVER CLEANER FREEWARE?
I CAN TRY ONCE AGAIN,

BEFORE I SEND MY SOUND CARD CREATIVE LAB, THEY TOLD ME TO REINSTALL WINDOWS CHANGING THE VALUE acpi=0 in the archive of instalation of the windows I DONT REMEMBER THE NAME NOW,

I UNISTALLED THE VIDEO CARD, AND STILL THE SAME ERROR, I SAW IN SOME FORUMS THAT THERE IS A POSSIBLE INCOMPATIBILITY BETWEEN NVIDIA CHIPSET, AND THE ROM OF THE SOUND CARD. AND CREATIVE ASK ME TO SEND MY CARD BACK TO THEM, BUT I REALLY DONT KNOW IF THEY SENT TO ME WITH DIFFERENT ROM.

I DONT UNDERSTAND 1 THING, IS MY MOBO CRAP?

hi

OK i did run the drive cleaner, and fit the card and install the drivers, i did this 3 times following this steps one for which pci slots that i have, and nothing!

what i dont understand, is that i disable lpt 1 port , com1 port, floppy disks, inclusive from device manger( view by type) and this shiuld be enough resources dont you think?plus the sound onboard off, that uses as well irq and dma resources.

when i put view resources by type on device manager, it doesn't even show the sound card, in any address or irq at all.

do you think maybe because my windows is 2002, is a bit old, for the mother board....i dont know , i am start to think crazy!

Creative x-fi´s minimum requirements
Genuine Intel® Pentium® III 1 GHz, AMD® 1 GHz processor or faster
Intel, AMD or 100% compatible motherboard chipset
Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
256MB RAM
600MB of free hard disk space
So you need windows XP, windows 2002 is too old

@Killer Carrot -
thx for the screenshot - onboard sound is not switched off.
you need to turn it off in bios or the system might act up now or later.

Ruben said:
@Killer Carrot -
thx for the screenshot - onboard sound is not switched off.
you need to turn it off in bios or the system might act up now or later.
yeah, i had it on at the time taking the screenshot, i just wanted some sound out of my speakers, but it was off when i tried to get it working and it´s now off since i got my x-fi working

My bad, i meant that my windows is winows xp version 2002, i have the sp2 as well, how do i know if this is a problem of incompatibility with my chipset?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back