Criminals are spying on iPhone users' passcodes and stealing their handsets

midian182

Staff member
In brief: For all the advanced, complicated ways that thieves can access the troves of sensitive data on our phones, the simplest method remains the most effective: discover a victim's passcode before physically stealing the handset. A number of these crimes have taken place recently with iPhone users being the main targets, leading to a response from Apple.

The Wall Street Journal's Joanna Stern reported on the spate of iPhone thefts that have resulted in victims being locked out of their accounts. There have also been instances of money being stolen via cash apps, ID theft, Apple Pay being used, and more.

The victims said their iPhones were stolen while socializing, usually at bars. Working in groups, the criminals would befriend targets and ask them to open an app such as Snapchat on their phones, attempting to observe their password as it's being entered. Sometimes, another gang member would discreetly video the password as the user taps the screen. Once they have the code, the iPhone would be stolen and all its contents accessible.

Not all the crimes happened this way. Some victims were physically assaulted and forced into handing over their phones and passcodes. There were also cases of people being drugged, waking up the next morning with no phone or memory of the previous night.

Knowing someone's passcode grants criminals full access to an iPhone; it can even be used to bypass TouchID or FaceID. Thieves can use the codes to reset someone's Apple ID password, locking victims out of their accounts if they try to access them from a different device. They can also turn off Find My iPhone, preventing it from being located or someone deleting its contents via iCloud. Apple ID contact information can also be changed, and recovery keys set up. As The WSJ notes, Apple's policies don't allow users to regain access to their account if a recovery key is enabled and they can't produce it.

Some victims reported that their apps had been accessed using iCloud Keychain – one person had more than $10,000 transferred from their bank accounts. Thieves were also able to use two-factor authentication when required. There were even cases of Apple credit cards being opened in victims' names and accruing thousands of dollars by finding the phone owner's last four digits of their Social Security number in photos.

Apple responded to The Wall Street Journal report by noting that "security researchers agree that iPhone is the most secure consumer mobile device, and we work tirelessly every day to protect all our users from new and emerging threats."

"We sympathize with users who have had this experience and we take all attacks on our users very seriously, no matter how rare," said a spokesperson. "We will continue to advance the protections to help keep user accounts secure."

There are several recommendations for avoiding becoming a victim of this crime: use FaceID or TouchID whenever possible, switch to an alphanumeric passcode that's harder to decipher while it's being entered, and if you do have to type in a code, try to hide the screen with your other hand.

Permalink to story.

The penalty for the theft of cell phones should be extra harsh considering the consequences of what a thug could obtain from it and the inconvenience of the loss to the owner.

The penalty for the theft of cell phones should be extra harsh considering the consequences of what a thug could obtain from it and the inconvenience of the loss to the owner.

If you believe that, then the penalty to Apple for permanently locking thousands of Apple users out of their personal information and handing it to criminals should be far worse

Last edited:
If this person as portrayed in the Wall Street Journal video is as much of an Apple person as she is, she should know that using Face ID is the most secure way of accessing her device while in public. The passcode should always be input in secret, perhaps somewhere where your back is against the wall, or your phone is somewhere under something else like a table, or you have your hand over the screen.

Again, this is "Input your PIN 101" here. Even at the ATM, you should put your hand over the keypad while you input your PIN.

I, myself, rely on Face ID with my iPhone. Even with Face ID, I'm aware of my surroundings.

This is clearly an example of people being way too trusting of other people in public when it comes to their private information. The phrase "even though your paranoid, it doesn't mean that they're not out to get you" comes to mind. Be paranoid and watch everything when out in public.

I think most times people are complacent with their phones or any device they use thinking the security that's provided are good enough which is not.

Umm, what? Proof or links, please.
Proof that Apple provides the means for criminals to steal your data and destroy your life, while locking you out of your own data

Is that what you are asking?

OK, here you go>

Your options are......
A. a password that can be recorded in public by thieves
B. A face that can be forced by police / fbi and other criminals
C. A fingerprint can can be forced in the same way

But why is Apple liable in any shape manner or form you may be asking?

Because, Apple does not provide any way for the legal owner to get their personal and private data back

Apple allows the criminals to keep "YOUR" stolen data by providing the means with their iPhone Security Gimmicks

If Apple cannot guarantee security for the end user, then Apple should not provide misguided pseudo security gimmicks, then advertise them as actual security

Now, is there anything else I can help you with today?

Good luck observing me putting in my PIN. The only reason it's 12 digits instead of 18 is that the limit is 16, and I can put it in in 2 seconds flat.

Who's using passwords on an iPhone? FaceID exist.

However, they steal iPhones because they are actually worth something. You can't use them, because they are locked behind AppleID, you can use the spareparts tho, in most cases.

Back