Critical Error Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai

Hi

I recently formatted my computer and reinstalled everything due to SP2 affecting USB connections and my 1394 net adaptor (iPod).

After formatting i now get strage critical error messages with the the error message window box titled "Messenger Service" and it tells me to vists particular sites for certain fixes.

3 different messages appear every now and then directing me to vists these 3 sites;

www.msreg.com
www.regfixit.com
www.criticalregistryfix.com

I have been to the regfixit.com site and it looks a little suspicious and mentions that i will need to input my product key to register the reg fix program.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus (my current AV) has not detected anything bad on my computer so should i go to these sites to perform the fixes that i have been told to or is this some spyware that i should be worried about.

Also for the first time ever "wpabaln.exe" has appeared in processes in windows task manager. Is this something i should be worried about?

Thanks in advance

iss said:
it sounds like you are running XP without service pack 2. the "messenger vunerability was patched in SP2. you need to either install SP2 or download a program like "shoot the messenger" which disables the service.

http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

Ok ill try that, i wont however reinstall SP2.

Ive made many threads in these forums about problems with SP2 stopping some USB devices from working properly as well as my 1394 net adaptor (iPod)

But i will try shoot the messenger. Thank you :)

Critical Error/Messenger Service

An FYI for you: the purpose of the Windows Messenger Service is for the Administrator of the Network to communicate with the other systems on the Network. So, in theory, it is a legitimate Service. However, as mentioned on the referenced site, third party vendors have accessed this Service and use it for 'scare tactics'- that is, the message is suppose to be alerting users to malware on the system and usually a program is recommended to remove it-with a price!

Users are often fooled into getting the program due to the intended 'authentic look' of the alert. It is easy to disable this Service using instruction on the referenced site. This is not to be confused with the IM feature.

Bobbye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back