Crossfire with the R9 280x Vapour-X 3GB

Devon Martin

Hi all, just bought a computer (second hand) and it's crossfired. Although, upon checking MSI Afterburner during a game to see how hot the cards are getting, I noticed that the second graphics card isn't really doing anything. Any fixes?

(ignore the channel name it's from when I was 11 don't judge me)

Ahh ok. Notice it with other games, such as both South Park games, Fortnite and Osu! (which doesn't take much power). I haven't tested it with PUBG or Unturned though, might see if it works well with that

I would sell the cards and upgrade to a second hand GTX 1060 or GTX 980. The R9 280x still sells for around $160-$180 USD in ebay. The GTX 980 is around $250 used or a new GTX 1060 6GB $270. If you know how to sell you could get around $300-$350 for the pair.

I would sell the cards and upgrade to a second hand GTX 1060 or GTX 980. The R9 280x still sells for around $160-$180 USD in ebay. The GTX 980 is around $250 used or a new GTX 1060 6GB $270. If you know how to sell you could get around $300-$350 for the pair.
Damn much better than the prices here in NZ... they struggle to sell at $100NZD on most known sites lol

Damn much better than the prices here in NZ... they struggle to sell at $100NZD on most known sites lol
I guess cryptocurrency is not as huge in NZ as in USA. Here in USA there is a huge demand for AMD cards which in turn drives prices up for new and used cards. Since AMD cards are not competitive price/performance wise Nvidia is gaining market share with gamers.

The only AMD cards you can easily get new are the RX 550/560 which are slightly slower than the GTX 1050/ 1050Ti. If you want anything faster you are limited to Nvidia cards unless you want to hunt a few weeks for overpriced AMD cards.

In my opinion multi-card setups are being overlooked by developers with the intention of allocating more resources on optimizations (truth is they are doing it to save time and money). Single card is the way to go currently.

Like the other guys said get rid of the 280x's and get a single GTX1060 6gb or RX580 8gb, I live in AUS us Aussies and you Kiwi's get hosed big time.

Back