Crysis Nano Suits in real life?

taimuraly

The article titled "A breakthrough on paper that's stronger than steel" http://newsroom.uts.edu.au/news/2011/04/a-breakthrough-on-paper-thats-stronger-than-steel was posted on Techspot and on checking out the whole story and looking at the pictures of the material, I kept on hearing the voice in the back of my mind going "Maximum Armour Engaged"

I mean this material is strong, thin and flexible so we could have many of these together like scales looking like the nano suit. Another reason to go Australia besides for the kangaroos.

Blunt trauma from a high caliber bullet would likely kill you anyway if you wore that stuff. As with traditional kevlar vests, you'll still want a rigid plate behind it to dissipate kinetic energy over a wider area.

OW WOW this is awesome! They'd probably make a nano suit with some modes you can choose from such as Maximum Speed or Maximum Armor!

This is so epic!

Blunt trauma from a high caliber bullet would likely kill you anyway if you wore that stuff. As with traditional kevlar vests, you'll still want a rigid plate behind it to dissipate kinetic energy over a wider area.

Not necessarily; the material is more than ten times more flexible than steel, so it'd be able to dissipate kinetic energy on its own pretty well. Bullets would, quite literally, bounce off it, no?

dont they say a silk web from a spider is so many times stronger than a thread of steal the same thickness?

I think this applies to a lot of metals we manufacture.... just opinion.

Spider web is stronger yes, but cannot be mass-produced as easily IIRC.

Are you saying we cant get a bunch of spiders together to produce spiderweb armor? Crazy talk...

In my post, I was actually suggesting how man-made materials arent really that strong, so to me that comparison wasnt very good, in my opinion. Not that we could produce this other stuff more easily or whatever... now, materials produced by living creatures however... interesting

IIRC, the last time they made a large piece of spider-silk (the only large piece in existence) it took about 70-80 people and a million spiders, and something like 3 years. So not impossible, but very, very slow and painstaking.

But I understand what you're saying. Still, aren't most structures made using man-made materials and natural ones? If steel weren't that strong, wouldn't it not be used in buildings and the like in favor of material like stone (really, really hard stone).

How much for that spider-silk shirt - I want. On a more serious note, I wonder if a certain amount of rigidity could be activated on such a product - you know, something like in Batman where electric current had this effect on his cape.

^, you should check out the Nokia Morph. Also, electrorheological fluids can change their consistency extremely quickly in response to an electric field; not exactly Batman cape material, unless it was all squishy and gooey. :p

Are you saying we cant get a bunch of spiders together to produce spiderweb armor? Crazy talk...

There are spider "milk farms" that specialize on "milking" spiders! Problem is though that the process is relatively slow and requires a lot of spiders. They basically strap a bunch of spiders to a bracket, inject a chemical which creates a continuous "want" to produce web, strap the first centimetre or so to a spool, and start winding!

Note: I think that the chemical actually weakens the web a little... unless I recall falsely. And each spider produces next to zero pure solid webmass.

The web is used where it's wanted, such as in some beauty creams and so on. (Of course, not the web in its solid form! That would result in Ms. Munster I guess :D )

Correct in both areas.

As for the high calibre bullet, small calibre bullets fired from e.g. sniper rifles would also cause severe trauma despite the very strong material.

Smaller bullets usually mean (but not by default) a smaller tip = pretty high pressure. Also, energy is increased by a square factor depending on velocity, rather than on the linear increase depending on mass (mv^2/2). A bullet twice as light as a heavy bullet, travelling twice as fast as a heavy bullet, will cause double the kinetic energy.

As for man-made materials, we do have some pretty serious stuff like graphene concepts and uranium tank-shell heads.

IIRC, the last time they made a large piece of spider-silk (the only large piece in existence) it took about 70-80 people and a million spiders, and something like 3 years. So not impossible, but very, very slow and painstaking.

But I understand what you're saying. Still, aren't most structures made using man-made materials and natural ones? If steel weren't that strong, wouldn't it not be used in buildings and the like in favor of material like stone (really, really hard stone).

It's strong, but it's also related to cost efficiency, of course.

Now, my knowledge about the world and all within isn't that vast, but I do know that prices of materials influence what we made other things out of.

Let's continue about spiders....

Spider silk is a remarkably strong material. Its tensile strength is comparable to that of high-grade steel (1500 MPa),[7][8] and about half as strong as aramid filaments, such as Twaron or Kevlar (3000 MPa).[9] Spider silk is about a fifth of the density of steel; a strand long enough to circle the Earth would weigh less than 500 grams (18 oz).[10]

Copy pasta from wiki

This graphene paper; the articles mentioned that it had 10 times the strength of steel. Could that perhaps mean that the graphenous paper has a pressure resistance of 15 GPa? That's quite a lot... :grinthumb

And there is also a difference between "pressure and pressure". Steel has an excellent pulling-resistance but poor decompression-resistance (in comparison to aramid materials) - try pulling apart a piece of steel wire (hard), then bend it (easy). It has something to do with the polar->polar orientation of the molecules inside the alloy unless I'm mistaken once again. And I think graphene also has a very high pulling-resistance vs. decompression-resistance as well (e.g. '1-atom-thick-but-still-strong' fabric).

Actually quite suitable for armour.

This graphene paper; the articles mentioned that it had 10 times the strength of steel. Could that perhaps mean that the graphenous paper has a pressure resistance of 15 GPa? That's quite a lot... :grinthumb

And there is also a difference between "pressure and pressure". Steel has an excellent pulling-resistance but poor decompression-resistance (in comparison to aramid materials) - try pulling apart a piece of steel wire (hard), then bend it (easy). It has something to do with the polar->polar orientation of the molecules inside the alloy unless I'm mistaken once again. And I think graphene also has a very high pulling-resistance vs. decompression-resistance as well (e.g. '1-atom-thick-but-still-strong' fabric).

Actually quite suitable for armour.

We're talking about spiders in here now, arent you following us? heheh

I came upon these videos on youtube,
The following link is about a new body armor called Dragon skin which is much beter than Kevlar. I think if the Graphene paper is arranged in a similar way it would take care of the pressure issue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYaSRIbPWkM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is about the spider silk. I saw a documentary about it on National Geographic showing how strong it was and that the web could catch a Boeing from midair. This video is about how sheep are being genetically modified to produce spider silk though the silk isn't as strong as natural spider silk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYlkJyG1Oik&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Back