Ctrl+alt+del problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcat1990

Hello, I know this sounds rude registering here just to ask for help, but sorry I'm desperate!

For some reason, Taskmanager won't show when I press ctrl+alt+del neither with ctrl+shift+esc...but for Some reason, when I type "taskmgr.exe" in run, or right click the taskbar it runs o.o

can someone help me as to why this is happening?

Found this while searching Google

DisableTaskMgr value is set to 1. To enable Task Manager, try any of these methods:
Resolution
Method 1

Click Start, Run and type this command exactly as given below: (better - Copy and paste)
REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWO

Method 2

Download and run this REG fix and double-click it.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/EnableTM.reg

Method 3

* Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to:

HKCU \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies\ System

* In the right-pane, double-click DisableTaskMgr and set it's data to 0

Method 4: Using Group Policy Editor - for Windows XP Professional

* Click Start, Run, type gpedit.msc and click OK.
* Navigate to this path

User Configuration
=> Administrative Templates
==> System
===> Ctrl+Alt+Delete Options
====> Remove Task Manager

* Double-click the Remove Task Manager option.
* Set the policy to Not Configured.

I already tried the first 3 methods, the last gives me an error:

Snap-in failed to initialize
Name: <unknown>
CLSID:{8Fc0B734-A0E1-11D1-A7D3-0000F8757E3}

ok, so I googled a bit and found that it might be a virus or malware or spyware.

I installed Avira AntiVir, SpyBot, AdAware.
Scanned with all of them, and seem NOT to have viruses, still the problem remains...

I can open taskmanager, just not with ctrl alt tel or ctrl shift esc :X

Download to your Desktop this self-extracting ZIP archive FixPolicies.exe

• Double-click FixPolicies.exe
• Click the Install button on the bottom toolbar of the box that will open.
• The program will create a new Folder called FixPolicies
• Double-click to Open the new Folder, and then double-click the file named Fix_Policies.cmd
• A black box will briefly appear and then close. This will enable your Control Panel, Task Manager and stop any Administrative warning

Your HijackThis log makes reference to nLite.inf in a startup run command

Please download Startup Control Panel and remove the 2 nLite entries

On further searching one tech board also recommended removing hotfix WindowsXP-KB922760-x86-ENU.exe nlite.in_ (from add/remove programs-->show updates)

Once the 2 nLite entries are removed from run, please restart your computer and test again

The thing is, this is a special version of windows (Asus EEE PC version, really light)
dunno if that's any help..

Tried that SFC thing on both my pcs (With normal windows and EEEPC windows both have the same error (The RPC server is unavailable) (I must be the most troublesome user around... T___T sorry!!!)

Yes I know the light version (hint nLite)

Try SP2 (free to download)

But it probably won't be all that light after it

yeah, kind of takes the reason I want this so badly, especially after adding practically everything I needed, maybe there's something in the description of this thing that'll help me...

...nope, nothing mentioning the task manager..

Still trying to fix this though..

Edit : Just added all the services...
still not working :X (What could it be??? )

For some reason, Taskmanager won't show when I press ctrl+alt+del neither with ctrl+shift+esc
There is another option.

Don't worry about it.
Unless you want to reinstall Windows

Your thoughts?

welll.... I'm kind of a neat freak -_-' not even If I have to make a small app that'll monitorize the keyboard and as soon as he detects ctrl alt del he opens taskmgr...

Still XD the only PC language that I can work with that can do that is VB6..
unless you know of a program that can do this!

Edit : if so...please tell me it's a light one :3

Damn I don't know the key command sequence for ctrl+alt+del is
I wonder if Filemon for Windows 9x/ME/NT/2K/XP from Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com will help

Actually if you find the scipt, please let me know.

Otherwise simple batch pointing to taskmanager

madcat1990 said:
Hello, I know this sounds rude registering here just to ask for help, but sorry I'm desperate!

For some reason, Taskmanager won't show when I press ctrl+alt+del neither with ctrl+shift+esc...but for Some reason, when I type "taskmgr.exe" in run, or right click the taskbar it runs o.o

can someone help me as to why this is happening?

press [flag key] [r] at the sametime type: c:\windows\system32\taskmgr.exe click okay or click on start then on run type: c:\windows\system32\taskmgr.exe you can also create a short cut on the desktop to get to the taskmanager also.

yes I know how to do that, but I was talking about keyboard shortcuts, because depending on the situation I might not be able to ACCESS the desktop

Actually if you create a new Administator account (you could call it Test)
Then check Ctrl+Alt+Del there
Actually does Safe mode work? with this

Anyways Kimsland, I tried that filemon you sent me, quite the app that is, still, won't show me anything while pressing ctrl alt del

what does it show over there?

Process winlogon.exe:552 Request open path c:\windows\system32\taskmanager.Manifest

Edit:

Also
Process taskmgr.exe:2044 path c:\windowsShell.Manifest

Also
Process explorer.exe:1480 path c:\windows\system32\taskmanager.exe

then I think I know where the problem is.

hang on guys

...and maybe not..

The changelog for this edition said something about minlogon.exe instead of winlogon...

but it was already replaced with a normal winlogon o.o and still didn't work..

maybe I'm missing this taskmanager.manifest file?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back