Customer captures Apple store robbery on smartphone

midian182

Staff member

Like other large retail outlets, Apple stores have their fair share of thefts, but it’s not often that such incidents are caught on a customer’s smartphone.

Police are investigating a robbery that took place at one of the Cupertino company’s stores on the Plaza in Kansas City yesterday (Sunday, April 22). One shopper, Margs Dickinson, managed to capture the crime while she was in the store buying an Apple Watch. She later posted the video on her Facebook page.

Dickenson told the Kansas City Star that she happened to have her phone out and started recording on Snapchat.

The three men are seen grabbing devices from the store as the alarms ring. It appears that one of them is holding an iPad—possibly an expensive 12.9-inch Pro, judging from its size. There’s also a tether dragging along the floor, which could have been what set the alarms off. The men then grab a number of iPhones before fleeing the scene on foot.

Back in 2016, Apple started removing the security cords on its iPhones in a small number of stores in the UK and Canada. The untethered handsets have a ‘kill-switch’ that mean when they leave the outlet’s WiFi range, they can't do anything but ring for Find My iPhone until the battery dies. They are also Activation Locked using iCloud as a deterrent.

The thefts were a lot more brazen than a technique used a couple of years ago, which involved criminals wearing blue shirts like those worn by Apple store workers and posing as employees, enabling them to stealing goods from the stores.

Anyone who has information on the robbery should call the TIPS Hotline at 816-474-TIPS.

Permalink to story.

Best part, everyone just stood there and watched...

Yea, it's not like someone is getting killed or something....

Usually these criminals arent very smart. That's probably the case here... since Apple will just disable these devices making them useless.

Then again, maybe they know something I don't know. lol

They didn't even attempt to hide their faces. They'll be caught before the end of the day. What dumbasses.

I'd still say they've been ripped off.

Also, why are there no security guards or some sort of protection? I'm sure they can afford it.

They didn't even attempt to hide their faces. They'll be caught before the end of the day. What dumbasses.
Not to mention that among the devices they stole, are probably at least some that can be remotely instructed to provide their current location, take a picture of the robber and/or be bricked.

Not to mention that among the devices they stole, are probably at least some that can be remotely instructed to provide their current location, take a picture of the robber and/or be bricked.

A lot of pawn shops require identification anymore, and record the serial numbers. The ones in my state/ county actually upload everything they get to cross check serial numbers with the police department. You know Apple will have their serial numbers, and disable the devices. This much should be obvious.... these would only be good for parts and really don't make them worth the time and risk stealing. But thieves aren't the brightest bunch, usually.... and if they were, they would not have done this. Lol

Back