Cyberpunk 2077 sold over 13 million copies in 10 days

Polycount

Staff
In brief: It's been about a week and a half since CD Projekt Red's latest big-budget RPG, Cyberpunk 2077, hit store shelves, and though it has had a controversial launch, sales are still incredibly strong. The futuristic RPG has reportedly sold a whopping 13 million copies to date.

Given that Red Dead Redemption 2, one of the best-selling games of all time, shipped about 17 million copies in the 12 days following its release on Xbox One and PS4, this is a strong showing from CDPR.

Of course, there are caveats. As we said, Cyberpunk 2077 has had a remarkably troubled launch. Though the game is performing worst on the base PS4 and Xbox One, gamers of all stripes -- even those on PC -- are suffering from performance issues, quest-breaking bugs, visual glitches, and more.

The problems have been so severe that, in an unprecedented move, Sony opted to pull Cyberpunk 2077 from sale on the PlayStation Store, while also offering blanket refunds to all that desire them.

Cyberpunk 2077's first-10-day sales do account for some refund requests -- those emailed directly to CDPR via its "helpmerefund" email address -- but it does not seem to account for refunds requested through other platforms.

Nonetheless, this is an achievement, and it's helped CD Projekt Red turn a profit despite years of intense development on this project.

We hope the company uses this money to improve Cyberpunk 2077 and patch up its many flaws -- the game certainly deserves it. At its core, it's a fun and immersive experience; but it probably needs a few more months to reach its full potential.

Permalink to story.

(edit). Looks like 8 mil in pre-orders. 21mil x $60 no too shabby.

Does that number include pre orders?

Last edited:
It's a great game.....when it works....

I feel like they cut a lot of content to make it "playable" and that over the next 4-6 weeks were just going to be getting bug fixes. I'm sure the cut content will be released as DLC....

Anyway, I have 90 hours in the game so far and I don't feel myself stopping any time soon. I don't think it's going to be a 6-700 hour game like I got out of skyrim but I'm sure it'll be good for 2-250 hours. At that point I'll consider myself getting my money's worth out of it.

LOL ..... I love that quote "when it works" ....... I used to have a car like that back in college ... which is where I got my appreciation for public transportation .... :)

Seriously game should have been delayed fro another year at least, I'm sure by this time next year in the Steam Winter sale when the game has been patched fully it will be a great bargain and well worth playing.

Seriously game should have been delayed fro another year at least, I'm sure by this time next year in the Steam Winter sale when the game has been patched fully it will be a great bargain and well worth playing.
This is not addressed at you, but one thing I find funny is the amount of hate being poured out at CDPR for releasing an unfinished game, and yet the death threats they received for the last launch delay they made. I feel that a lot of the vitriol being directed at them (e.g. I'll never buy another CDPR game as long as I live, and I want my money back NOW) is from the same crowd of people who howled at the moon when it was delayed. I do think those wanting to play it on last gen consoles have a right to be really pissed though, but they can now get a full refund no questions asked. As for me I paid the reasonable launch price on steam in my region (which I could actually get a refund on if I wished under the usual terms and conditions), had a look at the stupifying graphics and will now play other games until they've released a fair few patches.

This is not addressed at you, but one thing I find funny is the amount of hate being poured out at CDPR for releasing an unfinished game, and yet the death threats they received for the last launch delay they made. I feel that a lot of the vitriol being directed at them (e.g. I'll never buy another CDPR game as long as I live, and I want my money back NOW) is from the same crowd of people who howled at the moon when it was delayed. I do think those wanting to play it on last gen consoles have a right to be really pissed though, but they can now get a full refund no questions asked. As for me I paid the reasonable launch price on steam in my region (which I could actually get a refund on if I wished under the usual terms and conditions), had a look at the stupifying graphics and will now play other games until they've released a fair few patches.

Same story, different game. Look at "No Man's Sky." I thought the developers were going to have to go into a witness protection program from the backlash it got.

(shrugs) Gamers are a funny lot. They'll complain and whine about anything and everything that doesn't fit into their little gaming world. And when you have a game 7 years in production and with the pre-release hype this one got - you know gamers are going to be some sort of pissed when the released product doesn't meet expectations. And in this (and "No Man's Sky") situation, it not only didn't meet expectations, but in some cases was completely unplayable. I think CDPR is deserving of harsh criticism, but just once. Now let them fix the game.

Same story, different game. Look at "No Man's Sky." I thought the developers were going to have to go into a witness protection program from the backlash it got.

(shrugs) Gamers are a funny lot. They'll complain and whine about anything and everything that doesn't fit into their little gaming world. And when you have a game 7 years in production and with the pre-release hype this one got - you know gamers are going to be some sort of pissed when the released product doesn't meet expectations. And in this (and "No Man's Sky") situation, it not only didn't meet expectations, but in some cases was completely unplayable. I think CDPR is deserving of harsh criticism, but just once. Now let them fix the game.

Regardless the reason, there is absolutely no tolerance for "Death threats".

We need to bring back the days of public beatings and execution for terrorism.

Punish a few of these losers publicly and brutally and I guarantee you no one with a desire to survive will ever make another death threat again.

Regardless the reason, there is absolutely no tolerance for "Death threats".

Punish a few of these losers publicly and brutally and I guarantee you no one with a desire to survive will ever make another death threat again.

Why public beating and execution are needed when death threats are a grave offence carrying severe punishment.
Twitter brings out the absolute worst in people as they get used to being extreme for attention grabbing and retweets.

Which is worse? Bashing the CDPR team or bashing the bashers... violent thinking is violent thinking.

I was one of the early buyers. I knew that the release was not going to be smooth, as they were trying to do a hurry-up on the next gen ( and vastly different) consoles, and (I suspected) leaving a few bits undone / not finished in the PC version to allow more team to concentrate on the consoles... A bad situation all around.

Still, CDPR has a rep to keep, so I am still sure that in the long run (being the usual two months or so that many games take to patch after release) we will see a stable, very good game.Rather than do any bashing (especially of my head against a constantly shifting wall, ) I am just going to set it aside for a month or so and keep tabs on the progress. I think I will know when it is time to return when they put the dev console back in. Meanwhile I will just grab some nice caramel corn and watch the sparks.

LOL ..... I love that quote "when it works" ....... I used to have a car like that back in college ... which is where I got my appreciation for public transportation .... :)
It may be off topic, but entertain me, what kind of car are you talking about ? I'm as much a car guy as I am a techie

As long as the software developers are profitable, the habit of releasing unfinished games will continue and surely increase.

From their perspective, they need to release the software ASAP because they will get both the customer feedback to highlight the bugs, and the funds to fix them.

I just wish the customers would have a more financially responsible stance, rich or poor.

Just my advice; unless you absolutely have nothing else to play, stand your ground. Don't buy until the product is complete. It won't stop buggy games from being released, and the majority are still going to buy the software, but at least software developers will be forced to acknowledge that their early customers are their partners and treat them as such.

I wonder if they'll have to reduce those "sales numbers" for the returns and refunds?
If they drag it they could see to it that the refunds do not hit their fiscal year 2020. Given that this release very much indicates that they REALLY wanted the revenue in 2020, I would not put it past them. :)

This pretty much confirms that people who were pouring hate towards the game on social media were people who didn't buy the game.

This article is "flawed". All the other sites are reporting (as CDPR said) that the 13mil copies sold is the number they got after they deducted the refunds up until December 20, not "some" refunds as this author says.

So no the numbers are not fake or wrong or misleading. If anything with the bad launch they missed the opportunity to beat RDR2 17mil sales in the same time since launch. If CP 77 had a good launch they could have done that...

Anyway, in 1 or 2 years all this will be forgotten, the game will run great on all platforms and even those that are against it/upset about it now, will buy it and play it (most of them). It will easily sell 40-50mil in a few years time, if not more.

PS. On PC is already running much better, as of v. 1.05. Still lots of patches to come though...

Stop death threats by uh, public lashing and humiliation? Really?

Poe's law at work. I have no idea if this is a parody account tbf

Getting past all the complaints, the game is a success. And it's not even one of those EA/Ubisoft/Bethesda games that everyone knows it'll remain broken forever.

It actually is a "bad" game for the good reasons: it doesn't run on consoles. It's made for PC. It's technology moving forward. I'd pay for that. And I did.

This pretty much confirms that people who were pouring hate towards the game on social media were people who didn't buy the game.
Yep, the loud minority being the loud minority again. I've gotten so used to ignoring them, they're a part of my built-in adblock these days :)

(edit). Looks like 8 mil in pre-orders. 21mil x $60 no too shabby.

Does that number include pre orders?

"The 13 million figure represents the estimated volume of retail sales across all hardware platforms, factoring in returns submitted by retail clients in brick-and-mortar as well as digital storefronts, CD Projekt said in a regulatory filing on Tuesday.

The sales number amounts to about half of the 12-month sales forecast in a Bloomberg survey of nine analysts, which was taken before Sony removed the game from its store. The game had more than 8 million pre-orders before the Dec. 10 debut, which triggered an online outcry from players frustrated with its poor performance and a plunge in CD Projekt’s share price.

The sales update is negative and indicates that the scale of refunds was “huge,” Trigon analyst Kacper Kopron said in a note to clients."

Back