Dad's computer won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habylab

Ok, because of this i can't post a log, but it can't launch into safe mode, or normal mode. I will post an image of the BOD below. My dad has just been through a virus, which i can find out if anyone needs the name of it.
XL802213.jpg

Safe mode:
XL802218.jpg

Ok I got a slightly diferent image now for you. It isn't
KERNAL_DATA
It is KERNAL_STACK
XL802219.jpg

Be patient, that is one of the hardest things to troubleshoot. We can't request logs or suggest programs to run. I have no clue on this one.

Blind Dragon said:
Be patient, that is one of the hardest things to troubleshoot. We can't request logs or suggest programs to run. I have no clue on this one.
Well me and my dad managed to get it working again, and windows said it could be a "ageing problem"
It is 4-5 years old now, so....
Anyway, it keeps doing it, any solutions, i'll get a log up!

Added HJT file to this post!
Hope that helps!
EDIT: Can't attach anything at the moment...

Please help, I know i am impatient, but please help... It keeps doing it, during virus scans and stuff.

Please run Memtest to confirm your Ram is ok (requires 7 passes)

Failing that (I mean if Ram passes ok) try: (by selecting your Windows version)

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step
http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/part3.htm

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step your one
http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/part3.htm

Vista Repair:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows_vista_repair_options.htm

After the repair, will all my files be unharmed, i mean programs?
Will it only fix the files it needs to?

I definitly think you should follow kimsland advice as well. There is a few things you should remove, then let's see if we can get combofix to work.

Remove bad HijackThis entries
  • Close all open windows and browsers/email, etc...
  • Click on the "Fix Checked" button
  • When completed, close the application.

----------------------------------------------------------

Combofix
  • Download Combofix to your desktop.
  • Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • A window will open with a warning.
  • When the scan completes it will open a text window. Please attach that log back here together with a fresh HJT log.
Caution - do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop. Combofix is a very powerful tool so please do NOT do anything without instruction

Combofix will automatically save the log file to C:\combofix.txt

Sorry i didn't reload to see what you posted.
I tried memtest, but i went back to the computer after 10 minutes and it had gone bluescreen! with the message in the above post
i tried to boot my dads computer into recovery console thing, of the xp disk. I tried CHKDSK and it wouldn't work...
When i try to boot the computer, it either get stuck on the last bit of the "dell" screen. Or when i try to get to the boot menu, it says keboard failure...
I'm going to leave it until the morning now, but it doesn't look too good...
Please help! Thanks Blind dragon, if the computer starts, i will do all of the things you posted.

You will most likely need an older ps2 keyboard instead of USB. But kimsland is better at this side of it. I mostly stick to cleaning.

I tried memtest, but i went back to the computer after 10 minutes and it had gone bluescreen!
It can't "blue screen" from using Memtest

Memtest is run from a bootable CD or Floppy
Windows does the Blue Screen under fault conditions (depending on a whole bunch of things)

Yes it could be your keyboard, but I'd say likely Ram fault (or even HardDrive)

Your going to have to explain what you've done a bit better

ie Downloaded Memtest
Ran Memtest from boot CD (?)

try last knows good configuration if you can hit f8 and get to the advanced windows options. looks like a corruption too i would also try going into safe mode if you can and tryt a system restore. bsod usually means you have to reinstall windows.

kimsland said:
It can't "blue screen" from using Memtest

Memtest is run from a bootable CD or Floppy
Windows does the Blue Screen under fault conditions (depending on a whole bunch of things)

Yes it could be your keyboard, but I'd say likely Ram fault (or even HardDrive)

Your going to have to explain what you've done a bit better

ie Downloaded Memtest
Ran Memtest from boot CD (?)
I downloaded the memtest. Burned it to a cd. Put it in my computer. When windows restarted i pressed F12 and choose boot from cd. Then memtest came up, and it was doing a test, so i left it. I went back to it later and it said
UNMOUNTABLE_(something)

When i try to boot the computer, it either get stuck on the last bit of the "dell" screen. Or when i try to get to the boot menu, it says keboard failure...
Therefore, pimpmypc, he can't try doing what you said !

Habylab, this type of fault can be related to a faulty HardDrive (obviously) or data cabling
But, it is possible that even the Floppy drive and data cable can cause this strange behaviour. Therefore I would suggest to disconnect the floppy from the Motherboard.
Actually, also unplug any not required PCI devices (like addon Sound card or 56K Modem etc)
You may like to check (or replace) your Hard Drive (and/or Cdrom Drive) data cable(s)

Basically you need to get past this Dell logo and continue to somewhere (even Safe Mode)
By the way, detach any not required externals too, like printer so forth.

Try again

kimsland said:
Therefore, pimpmypc, he can't try doing what you said !

Habylab, this type of fault can be related to a faulty HardDrive (obviously) or data cabling
But, it is possible that even the Floppy drive and data cable can cause this strange behaviour. Therefore I would suggest to disconnect the floppy from the Motherboard.
Actually, also unplug any not required PCI devices (like addon Sound card or 56K Modem etc)
You may like to check (or replace) your Hard Drive (and/or Cdrom Drive) data cable(s)

Basically you need to get past this Dell logo and continue to somewhere (even Safe Mode)
By the way, detach any not required externals too, like printer so forth.

Try again
It started working, before i read this, but if this ever happens again, i will follow what you said!
Here's the logs!
+my computer ( you can never be too sure!)

It is dead:
It comes up with lots of info about my computer then
Drive 0 not found
F1 to retry F2 setup
Something like that anyway, i am trying to do a memtest, see if that helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back