Data Error: Cyclic redundancy check

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasJas

My pc crashed on yesterday and was unable to boot into window as it required to run chkdsk and i found a lot file record segments were unreadable or corrupted. I changed the hardisk, installed a new os and then tried to back up some important files from the crashed hardisk but some was not able to transfer as a message pop-out stating data error: (cyclic redundancy check), my questions are :

1) Can those files under the data error to be recovered?

2) I read about the cause of it but is there any way to prevent from happening?

3) Is the hardisk still can be used?

I would be very appreciated if someone could help me out with this matter...

thanks

The harddrive sounds to be physically faulty
Therefore the data is probably corrupted in those sectors
I don't believe the HardDrive can be used again (and if used, it will slow your computer down)

Hmm, Make backups often to external media is always a good thing to do.
(Possibly a bit late to tell you that though)

If the HDD with CRC errors is attached to a working PC and is detected by Windows, try opening the command prompt (Start>Run>cmd>Ok) and type:

chkdsk /r /f D: (Hit the Enter key)

I just assumed the drive was assigned to letter D, enter the appropriate letter there. There is a space between chkdsk, /r, /f, and D:.

Try to access the drive after this completes.

thanks for the info, did the chkdsk on the hdd but still some files could not able to transfer, will try with the link given by kimsland...thanks alot

BTW : did the chkdsk and some files which under CRC seem to be lost....

bad sectors hmmm, any how to prevent from having bad sector?maintainance or?or there is lifespan for hdd?

No preventative maintenance to avoid bad sectors that I know of. It just happens sometimes.

Since quite a number of people said the hdd is faulty, can i claim the warranty from dealer as it is purchased within a year time?

I heard some HDD offers 3-5 years warranty, is this included in as well? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back