'DayZ' passes three million sales milestone on Steam Early Access

Shawn Knight

Staff member

dayz beta gaming development open world zombies day z zombie survival

The standalone version of open world survival horror game DayZ has sold over three million copies since its launch a little over two years ago according to developer Bohemia Interactive. It’s an impressive feat for any title but even more so when you consider DayZ is still in the alpha stage of development.

Fans of the game can attest to the fact that DayZ certainly hasn’t taken the common development path. The title started life as a mod for ARMA 2 under the guidance of game designer Dean Hall. Bohemia Interactive – who also makes ARMA 2 – liked what they saw with DayZ and recruited Hall to join their team and build a standalone version of the game.

DayZ was released on Steam Early Access just over a year ago. The standalone title sold more than 730,000 copies in the first three weeks, more than a million in the first month and crossed the two million units sold mark within four months.

Sales are of course slowing down now but its performance is still quite remarkable.

DayZ has been stuck in alpha partially due to the fact that the development team decided to change the game’s core engine last year from the Real Virtuality engine to the Enfusion engine. Bohemia Interactive says the new engine will be able to utilize DirectX 11, boost the visual aesthetics and provide better tools for content creators.

Permalink to story.

Omagawd. I thought this was something a few select *****s on my steams friend list play. The walking simulator. I expected updates to include a variety of walking boots and water proof socks. Walking sticks.
Having played the arma mod with the... Endless walking, the nothingness, the time filled with boredom and the odd Benny Hill zombie flapping his arms chasing you around a house in circles, tiresomely.

I loathe this P.O.S. it is just so awful. Now for an apocalyptic game I am looking towards The Division, if you had a world looking like that, with a changing weather system, so in Summer its hot as you are, in Winter you're huddled with buddies making tea and sniping people looking for shelter, then that would be sweet.

If you took that world, and took out the squads shooting each other and the stupid drones... you could have a walking dead world, and chuck the zombies in. Thats how I picture Walking Dead the MMORPG to be like. But, the huge downside is its Ubisoft, and they are the worst. WORST. I wouldnt be surprised if they made DAYZ. Terrible...

The standalone version of open world survival horror game DayZ has sold over three million copies since its launch a little over two years ago according to developer Bohemia Interactive.
I'm equally impressed a game about zombies can still be popular. I'd have thought that trend faded by now. they should have raced to get it out, not to make money just so we wouldnt' be saying 'there's ANOTHER game about Zombies?'

Omagawd. I thought this was something a few select *****s on my steams friend list play. The walking simulator. I expected updates to include a variety of walking boots and water proof socks. Walking sticks.
Having played the arma mod with the... Endless walking, the nothingness, the time filled with boredom and the odd Benny Hill zombie flapping his arms chasing you around a house in circles, tiresomely.

I loathe this P.O.S. it is just so awful. Now for an apocalyptic game I am looking towards The Division, if you had a world looking like that, with a changing weather system, so in Summer its hot as you are, in Winter you're huddled with buddies making tea and sniping people looking for shelter, then that would be sweet.

If you took that world, and took out the squads shooting each other and the stupid drones... you could have a walking dead world, and chuck the zombies in. Thats how I picture Walking Dead the MMORPG to be like. But, the huge downside is its Ubisoft, and they are the worst. WORST. I wouldnt be surprised if they made DAYZ. Terrible...

Yeah its complete garbage that's why no one is buying it... You should play "Rust" and give us your review on that too.

Last edited:
I also hear this is an over-hyped POS game. Not because it's a zombie game, but because the devs have basically done nothing to improve it.

I'm equally impressed a game about zombies can still be popular. I'd have thought that trend faded by now. they should have raced to get it out, not to make money just so we wouldnt' be saying 'there's ANOTHER game about Zombies?'
Ditto. After Left 4 Dead, and recently finishing the Last of Us I had an enjoyable time with Zombie games. But I'm looking for new experience. But 3 million copies?! Wow! That is quite an achievement. One which brings curiosity for me to take a look and try it.

Ditto. After Left 4 Dead, and recently finishing the Last of Us I had an enjoyable time with Zombie games. But I'm looking for new experience. But 3 million copies?! Wow! That is quite an achievement. One which brings curiosity for me to take a look and try it.

I'd highly recommend finding it for a sale price if you do take the plunge. It's a good game, but it's not for everyone due to a majority of the game revolving around interactions with other players in game with LOTS of running.

I play DayZ frequently and every time I play on a full server. 90% of the time there is a hacker on it. They can pull your gear off you, make yourself kill yourself, teleport, make you put your weapon away, float around the map and drop grenades. They usually just go invisible, come up behind you and kill ya.

Yeah its complete garbage that's why no one is buying it... You should play "Rust" and give us your review on that too.

He/she may or may not be right but is certainly entitled to his/her own opinion. I don't have a feeling that he is trolling either.

I would love to see the number of people who are actively playing the game, almost all user feed back I have read is that it is basically a bait and switch game.... promising the world and delivering nothing. I also remember that steam listed and then pulled it for a while due to that exact reason...reimbursed people money as well.

Also remember the oh we lost your character issue they had as well.... 20+ hours without death and then logged in one day and my character was gone... contacted support and they basically said that's a shame.

I did buy it and have played it for about 50 hours in total (over 12 months)...... found it to be a horrible game (should have listened to the reviews)

Bought this very early and tried it a few times every month or so for 2 years ago. It is still unplayable.

Yes it is in Alpha but still xD

This is not a game for everyone, specially for those kids with instant grattigication issues.

I even bought at one time the WarZ game (Now infestation), it had and has its issues but it's still a very enjoyable game -again- as long as you don't have frustration issues.

I know I know, they promissed a lot and delivered very little but like any project it takes time. Nether is a great game also, as long as you avoid the insta snipe zones.

Early Access is a disease. It's just a way for the producers to dump the risk of developing a game onto the consumer.

Early Access is a disease. It's just a way for the producers to dump the risk of developing a game onto the consumer.

With the disease analogy... If you are knowingly buying an aids infected syringe, is it the manufacturers fault or your own?

The only way to not "spread the disease" is simply not buying unfinished software.

Go £60,000,000 quid taken and they are nowhere near a complete game.

Good money if you can get it...

I would love to see the number of people who are actively playing the game, almost all user feed back I have read is that it is basically a bait and switch game

Exactly. I wonder how many people have picked this game up only to see it for the sham it truly is. And then they just eat the cost due to the lower price. I understand it is a alpha. But rather than focus on changing the engine and adding new useless garbage, how about focus on the fundamentals first! Like not breaking your legs walking down the stairs or through or doorway. Or perhaps the constant hacker able to kill everyone on the server. Which is why I quit playing this game. Watch them keep raising the price on this garbage and you will see more and more people up in arms wanting their money back.

I loved the concept of Dayz when it was a mod. And played it a lot. But the current state it is in is shameful. And it will never be fixed with the devs currently in charge of it. I mean EA could do a better job.

Back