DC's Netflix-like streaming service launches tomorrow, offering shows, movies, and digital...

Polycount

Staff

Streaming services are the hot new fad for the tech and entertainment industries, and DC has been the latest company to jump on the bandwagon. Back in July, DC Comics unveiled its own video streaming platform, appropriately dubbed "DC Universe."

Naturally, the announcement of yet another streaming service wouldn't have attracted much interest, so DC simultaneously unveiled "Titans," DC Universe's first exclusive show. Titans is set to be a live-action reboot of the popular animated series "Teen Titans."

Though DC didn't give us a launch date when it first unveiled DC Universe, we now know that the service will hit the web tomorrow, with an interesting feature we didn't know about before - comic book reading.

You read that correctly - DC Universe will feature both DC shows and movies, as well as an all-you-can-eat digital comic library. As far as I'm aware, this is the first time something like this has happened; popular platforms like Netflix and Hulu only ever offer video content, never ebooks.

At any rate, you can snag a subscription to the service before it launches for $7.99 per month, or $74.99 a year.

If you were an early adopter who "pre-ordered" a subscription, you can enjoy all the service has to offer right now via an early access period. All who pre-ordered an annual subscription will get three months of membership tacked on for free.

As interesting as DC Universe looks, many will probably only sign up to the service for Titans. Though the trailer we've seen so far was a bit lackluster, nostalgia is a powerful tool, and few shows are as nostalgic as Teen Titans.

With that said, the live-action reboot isn't dropping until October 12, so it may be best to save your subscription money until next month.

Permalink to story.

They will milk streaming til it's dead. Disney is releasing a service. CBS has released a service. The fact is these aren't as expensive as they used to be. If you actually own the content it's basically free money for these corps, when you consider the content they are posting already made it's money in years past.

Costs too much, either have all things under one payment or drop the monthly fee to 2$ so I can have 10 services at the same time. Not getting more than one service with current pricing.

I'm not paying for any more streaming services. Doesnt matter how good the content is.
Pick a TV show you wanna watch, subscribe for a month and watch it as well as the best shows the service has. Then end subscription. it would be cheaper than to buy disks or even rent.
that's wha tI am planning to do for future TV shows and movies available on Amazon HBO and others.

I'm not paying for any more streaming services. Doesnt matter how good the content is.
Pick a TV show you wanna watch, subscribe for a month and watch it as well as the best shows the service has. Then end subscription. it would be cheaper than to buy disks or even rent.
that's wha tI am planning to do for future TV shows and movies available on Amazon HBO and others.
Your local public library may have what you want for free. I've recently started catching up on Doctor Who since PBS no longer has it in the US. I borrowed series 8 from the library. Worked well enough for me, and the price was right - free!

Charge $15 for DC, HBO, and WB as a all in one service.
Personally, I would not pay that much. I get WB OTA for free right now. I suspect that most areas in the country have WB OTA. I cannot say that DC interests me enough, and I have no interest in HBO.

Most of the WB DC shows are on Netflix after they air for the season. I am not sure about the DC movies, though.

Back