DDR3 boards and DDR5 cards

I was recently thinking about upgrading my graphics card from my GTX 460 to something like a 650 and went to Microcenter.com to check out the products available. I found that their are minimal amount of choices for video cards as mainly everything they had was DDR5. So I started looking at motherboards and found that all of the ones I saw were DDR3 boards. Can you use a DDR5 card in a DDR3 board? I'm still a newbie to building pc's all help is appreciated.

Can you use a DDR5 card in a DDR3 board?
Yes. The type of RAM used in a graphics card is independent of the type of RAM the motherboard uses.

GPU's use GDDR memory. :) It sits on the actual card and so doesn't require any different slots on the motherboard.

Add-in cards are only dependent on the card slot specifications. I've never seen a card that was dependent on other system hardware specification.

Add-in cards are only dependent on the card slot specifications. I've never seen a card that was dependent on other system hardware specification.

While not exactly the same thing you're talking about, I'm gonna mention it to avoid confusion: you need to make sure PSU can support a high-end GPU! :)

Back