Deadly vaping-related lung disease claims the lives of four Americans (updated)

Polycount

Staff

Vaping is commonly considered a safer, healthier alternative to traditional cigarettes. This is one of the reasons vapes and e-cigarettes (like Juul's devices) have become increasingly popular among teenagers and other underage users -- not only is there the "cool" factor that's always been associated with tobacco usage, but there's also the dangerous idea that the products are relatively risk-free.

Unfortunately, when something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Recently, the CDC has been looking into a serious and mysterious lung disease that is apparently caused by vaping. It's not cancer, as far as the organization knows, but it could prove to be just as dangerous. As reported by The New York Times today, the disease has claimed the lives of four American citizens now. The last two victims died in Indiana and Minnesota, respectively.

Officials believe the cause of this disease could be a specific chemical, but they've yet to identify exactly what that chemical might be. However, one of the more likely culprits is a compound called "vitamin E acetate," which was discovered in high concentrations across eight separate cases of this illness in New York.

There's also the possibility that it's a mixture of chemicals that has led to the dilemma: several patients report vaping "substances extracted from marijuana or hemp." These substances (including THC) combined with the chemicals that are in normal vape liquid, could create dangerous "new toxins," Harvard doctor David Christiani theorizes.

Investigators are also looking into potential links between the disease and the use of counterfeit or contaminated vape liquids (and devices) purchased on the street. The CDC, for its part, recommends that the vape-using public avoid such transactions. The organization also says e-cigarette users shouldn't modify their devices in ways that are "not intended" by the manufacturer.

The number of patients that have likely been struck by this illness has doubled recently, to about 450 suspected cases in total. The vast majority (over 80 percent) of patients affected by the disease are men, with an average age of 19.

"We are committed to finding out what is making people sick," said CDC director Robert Redfield in a statement. "All available information is being carefully analyzed, and these initial findings are helping us narrow the focus of our investigation and get us closer to the answers needed to save lives."

The CDC is advising the public to curb their use of vape devices; at least until the group's investigation turns up conclusive results. While we're not medical professionals ourselves, we'd suggest that any of our vape-using readers heed that recommendation in the coming months.

Permalink to story.

I want to trademark the term "death threshold".

I believe that it takes a certain number of deaths to occur before political change comes swiftly and immediately.

How many will it take to outlaw vaping?

Wondering if this is caused by the chemistry of the liquids being inhaled or simply the inhalation of vapors or smoke in general. It would definitely be good to know if something as simple as regular water inhalation can cause lunge problems in addition to the impact certain substances can have on your risk factor.

I believe that it takes a certain number of deaths to occur before political change comes swiftly and immediately.

It's no different than a stop light or stop sign. How many ppl have to die before a intersection gets one of those? Cause you can have several accidents but nothing is ever done. When a death or deaths occur then change starts to happen.

Almost all towns or cities have a intersection or side street that has problems but nothing is ever done till someone dies.

So that's about as many killed as by a vending machine. But hey, that makes a news, right!
Well, there's also the 450 possible cases to factor in, but the deaths (which were linked to the disease) seem to demonstrate how nasty the disease is.

It's no different than a stop light or stop sign. How many ppl have to die before a intersection gets one of those? Cause you can have several accidents but nothing is ever done. When a death or deaths occur then change starts to happen.

Almost all towns or cities have a intersection or side street that has problems but nothing is ever done till someone dies.

Agreed. Same thing about these self-wrecking cars. How many people must needlessly die before they are banned? Just like vaping - they are pushed onto the public for beta testing at our safety risk rather than independent testing in controlled environments. Then some yahoo will say "look how many deaths compared to real drivers" (smokers), when it's the ratio that is alarming. But hey, whatever makes them rich, eh?

Wow, Techspot is pushing this nonsense too. Try to do at least a bit of research before writing an article and regurgitating anti-vaping propaganda. These cases are to do with black market THC bought on the street. And they did identify the chemical, they believe it to be vitamin E acitate, an oil. It has nothing to do with vape products purchased through retail establishments.

Also a good rule for life, probably don't buy anything you plan to inhale or consume from a dude in an alley way.

"The federal lab results seem to confirm findings from New York State. Late last week, its lab found “very high levels of vitamin E acetate in nearly all” its cannabis samples tested."

"The chemical is an oil derived from vitamin E. Investigators at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration found the oil in cannabis products in samples collected from patients who fell ill across the United States."

"State and federal health authorities have said they are focusing on the role of contaminants or counterfeit substances as a likely cause of vaping-related lung illnesses. Many patients have told officials and clinicians that they bought cannabis products off the street."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...nesses-state-federal-labs-show/?noredirect=on

Vaping as well as food is only as safe as the ingredients. The way this article is written you could say the same for eating kale chips dipped in rat poison.

"Kale chips are commonly considered a safer, healthier alternative to potato chips. This is one of the reasons kale chips have become increasingly popular among health nuts and gym goers -- not only is there the "cool" factor that's always been associated with eating chips, but there's also the dangerous idea that the products are relatively risk-free.

Unfortunately, when something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Recently, the CDC has been looking into a serious and mysterious dehydration and death that is apparently caused by kale chips (dipped in rat poison)."

Wow, Techspot is pushing this nonsense too. Try to do at least a bit of research before writing an article and regurgitating anti-vaping propaganda. These cases are to do with black market THC bought on the street. And they did identify the chemical, they believe it to be vitamin E acitate, an oil. It has nothing to do with vape products purchased through retail establishments.

Also a good rule for life, probably don't buy anything you plan to inhale or consume from a dude in an alley way.

"The federal lab results seem to confirm findings from New York State. Late last week, its lab found “very high levels of vitamin E acetate in nearly all” its cannabis samples tested."

"The chemical is an oil derived from vitamin E. Investigators at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration found the oil in cannabis products in samples collected from patients who fell ill across the United States."

"State and federal health authorities have said they are focusing on the role of contaminants or counterfeit substances as a likely cause of vaping-related lung illnesses. Many patients have told officials and clinicians that they bought cannabis products off the street."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...nesses-state-federal-labs-show/?noredirect=on
Perhaps you're more up-to-date on the situation than me, but the CDC's official announcement says they haven't pinpointed the cause yet. Some cases of this illness had nothing to do with THC, and rose from nicotine-only usage. Further, Dr. Christiani says there are "at least six groups" of potentially toxic compounds in normal vape liquid alone.

Has there been an update? I'm looking at their site right now and I don't see any new announcements or clarifications. I'd be very happy if there was, as my girlfriend uses a Juul device herself.

That said, I've updated the article with further possible causes of the illness, including the possibilities you mention here. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

And to be clear, I have nothing against vapes. I'm not pushing any sort of agenda. I just saw the NYT report, visited the CDC's website, read the pieces in the NEJ, and thought it was worth discussing here.

Water vapor being sucked into the lungs, an organ designed for air vapor, probably isn't a good idea to start with. I think in most cases if people purchase from a well known dealer, they should be fine, but with all the ILLEGAL THC and whatever else they stuff into them, being sold on the street, who knows what you are getting.

ANYTHING taken into the lungs other than oxygen or a prescribed medication is risky, at best. Over the years we've seen all kinds of fads from simple cigarette's, to huffing, and now vaping. The concept is still the same, young folks want to appear to be older or succumb to peer pressure and "just try it". While the majority of deaths appear to be from "bought on the street" concoctions, Juul is clearly in the crosshairs for marketing to kids and the adults often just want a THC buzz.
I have an older sister that was a hairdresser for 35 years, smoked because it was cool, and never bothered wearing any kind of mask while breathing in all that "harmless hairspray". Her lungs look like she has black lung and she's on her last days.

If we all knew what we knew today, so many many decades ago ..... well, we'd still swear we were indestructible and do it anyway ...... thus is human nature.

Surely they think that water vapor being inhaled is 100 % pure and absolutely germ-pesticide-insecticide free, right??
Carry on.

So, it looks like there have been deaths from vaping black market or contaminated/unconventional vape oils (what a surprise).

But people in the media (and the comments) are taking this as "all vaping deadly"? Really? Id!ots sure like jumping to conclusions, eh?

And don't get me wrong, I don't condone inhaling anything other than (normal) air, but this just sounds ridiculous at this early stage...

Last edited:
> Vaping is commonly considered a safer, healthier alternative to traditional cigarettes.
Healthier alternative my rear end. If you're breathing in anything but regular air, it's probably not good for you.
"Healthier" ≠ "Healthy" (like you seem to be implying).
Nothing here says that it's healthy. All it's saying is that inhaling vape smoke is considered healthier than inhaling cigarette smoke.

So, it looks like there have been deaths from vaping black market or contaminated/unconventional vape oils (what a surprise).

But people in the media (and the comments) are taking this as "all vaping deadly"? Really? Id!ots sure like jumping to conclusions, eh?

And don't get me wrong, I don't condone inhaling anything other than (normal) air, but this just sounds ridiculous at this early stage...
where is this normal, non polluted air you speak of :p

As a person who vapes there are some juices that have bugged my throat moreso than others but I can't really speak for my lungs but I can say when I have gone back to a pack of cigarettes on occasion when I was regularly vaping I ended up feeling like garbage and had trouble breathing. So in my experience cigarettes are still the devil in comparison to vaping. This "Dr. Christiani" guy seriously sounds like someone who was payed off and considering he studies cancer and anyone who has done any research knows some "guy" in the united states actually did find the cure for cancer and he somehow "disappeared" and his son fled to mexico where he's in hiding and has the cure there yet he's probably dead too. "Dr. Christiani" is probably well aware of this too, yet he's "studying" all of this crap. Also show me some dead bodies and death certificates of these 4 supposedly dead people with proof it was from vaping. It's ironic a little bit back the cigarette companies were trying to ban ejuice because all of the "flavors like gummy bear etc" were the cause of young kids starting vaping and now this type of crap surfaces. Pretty big coincidence right? lol. Marlboro bought Juul btw. I say this is all a bunch of "hoobla" and a way for the cigarette companies to abolish vaping once again so people keep buying their cigarettes that go up a dollar or more a pack every year and kill the **** out of people.

Last edited:
*BLACK MARKET* CANNABIS/WEED - THC OIL - VAPE PENS - BONGS - DABBING
Report Properly NOW. People dying. *NOT* from LEGAL products.

You really need to get away from these flat earth grade sources that you frequent. They are making/keeping you stupid.

People are still getting sick & dying because the gullible, the media & even public health groups (including CDC) have been generalising with just "vaping" causing people to think legal products are causing this (no evidence) instead of accurately and explicitly warning against the use of *BLACK MARKET" THC products. Think about that in your next headline/post. CDC is liable for this & so is the media.

ILLICIT THC vape carts obtained from a number of case patients that were tested in federal & state laboratories have tested positive for vitamin E acetate, an OIL that just started to be used late last year as a thickening agent in BOOTLEG THC vape carts.
https://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/2019/09/alert-major-breakthrough-in.html

Lung Disease Outbreak Caused by Black Market, not Vaping
https://cei.org/blog/lung-disease-outbreak-caused-black-market-not-vaping

https://omny.fm/shows/ccc/jeff-stier-busting-the-latest-vaping-myths

Big problem with journalist ethics & critical thinking. - Prof R Polosa
We really need to be very careful with hyping these headlines & pointing the accusing fingers towards vaping products. - Prof R Polosa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ki7oG9iQBU

Emotional & irrational hysteria in the US about the “vaping-related” (or cannabis-related?) lung disease goes far beyond confirmation bias

It would not be a hyperbole to characterize the reactions, announcements, and statements of some authorities, regulators and scientists as hysterical. There is no doubt that they are emotional, inaccurate and without any scientific and epidemiological basis.
- Dr K Farsalinos
http://www.ecigarette-research.org/research/index.php/whats-new/2019/274-us-lung

"CDC & Health Groups' Bias Against E-Cigarettes is Putting Kids' Lives at Risk" - Prof M Siegel
https://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/2019/08/in-my-view-cdc-and-health-groups-bias.html

Response by Michigan governor: Send 98% of the quality controlled, highly regulated & life-saving industry to the black market & get into unwinnable litigations with taxpayer money while the people she governs drink lead-contaminated water.

Here is a sane, credible science-based stance for you to think about:

Public Health England Director of Health Improvement John Newton describes e-cigarettes as 95% less harmful than cigarettes. He says it would be "tragic" if people kept smoking cigarettes because they haven't tried vaping.
https://youtu.be/IYaQsq7rOxI?list=PLyRy08Oug6_1h8x7SquxN98EoLXrX_ROG

How much unscientific nonsense & inaccurate sensationalist media do you need to be exposed to before you are calling for bans to life-saving products? Probably not much if it supports your already sceptical stance on a subject you lack the most basic understanding of.

Wondering if this is caused by the chemistry of the liquids being inhaled or simply the inhalation of vapors or smoke in general. It would definitely be good to know if something as simple as regular water inhalation can cause lunge problems in addition to the impact certain substances can have on your risk factor.

Not from *LEGAL* quality-controlled life-saving products.

ILLICIT THC vape carts obtained from a number of case patients that were tested in federal & state laboratories have tested positive for vitamin E acetate, an OIL that just started to be used late last year as a thickening agent in BOOTLEG THC vape carts.
https://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/2019/09/alert-major-breakthrough-in.html

So that's about as many killed as by a vending machine. But hey, that makes a news, right!

Still zero deaths from the *responsible* use of *legal* vaping products. You will never see that part reported in the media.

It makes the news when those with a vested interest are controlling the narrative.

"Nationwide network includes government bodies at local, state, federal & international level; charities; grassroots organizations; universities; & even scientists. Seemingly independent, in fact deeply financially interwoven."
https://cei.org/content/fear-profiteers
https://youtu.be/sG-vW1ku0_U?list=PLyRy08Oug6_1h8x7SquxN98EoLXrX_ROG

Back