Dedicated Virus Removal Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

AudioVayne

I work in a computer repair shop, and we have a machine dedicated for virus removal...Just hookup the HDD from an infected machine and start running the scans.

It's setup to run quick heal and any of the tools from their security suite.

Last week the boss inadvertantly infected a hard drive because this particular machine had a virus. Are there any additonal measures or tips to take to prevent the machine getting infected?

Ill be installing Malwarebytes and Spybot to run as well, but we don't want to do a virus removal and end up sending the HDD back if it's still infected!

This machine is running AMD 2800+ CPU
768 MB RAM
Vista (Not my choice, honestly)
Gigabyte MoBo
Quick Heal

Any particular build in mind? I think the boss has a SuSe install disc somewhere...And I have a Gentoo disc (though have reconsidered using Gentoo because my knowledge and experience with Linux is somewhere between None and Minimal)...

Lol what's the difference between Ubuntu and Linux?

And also wouldn't I have trouble running particular windows based anti-virus programs?

The difference is Ubuntu has been sold with many computers these days (I think Dell was the first to be brave enough to sell Linux installed computers, on a notoriously Windows based market)

Also just about all Antiviruses work with Linux

I see...Do you know if there are any special requirements to install an anti virus (Will be either Quick heal or Kaspersky)?

And Ubuntu, is that the build with the GUI designed similar to Windows?

I would go for Avira (I went searching for the specific Linux download, so I took a couple of mins to reply back. Anyway I'm sure it's there somewhere :D)

But free AntiVirus softwares are just as good and if not better (in some cases) than the paid alternatives

Yes that's my point about (same here) The GUI in Ubuntu makes it a lot easier and more familiar to use than some of the others

I see...What are the minimum requirements? I'm looking to create a file server with the old mans P2 computer...

128MB RAM, Intel PII 266Mhz (Overclocked to 456Mz)

Well it's free considering the company is paying for it and the additional support might just come in handy so we'll be installing a paid version...(and why not? We are in a recession so spending money keeps people employed :) )

Minimum for what? Ubuntu or Suse or which one?

As you are aware (it seems) Linux doesn't take much CPU and Ram. But this is mainly because users use Linux for a Firewall or as a File Server.

If you are planning to run AntiVirus softwares and possible AntiMalware programs and other possible programs (generally use it) Then I would recommend that you need more system resource.

You may be best to ask these types of questions on one of the Linux based forums. They are quick to respond (just like here ;)) and you will get expert and specific help.

One of the best ways to start is just to try it, and then see how you go.
I don't believe I can be any more help to you, even though I've run Linux for over 10 years. I've always used it as a User not got into all the technical parts.

:D Sorry...sorta threadjacked my own thread...

For my file server, Al Ill be doing (at this stage) is storing files and running a printer from it...And accessing files from any machine in the house via Ad Hoc network...And maybe in latter days run a web server but Ill consider a slightly better MoBo for that...

For the dedicated machine at work, It will primarily be bug removal (unless I disconnect the drives and pinch the machine to Ghost HDDs)...AMD 2800+, Gigabyte MoBo, 768 MB RAM

I appreciate your help on the matter, Will give the guys on a Linux forum a go... :D :grinthumb

When ever I see 768Meg I cringe. Because that means you likely have 512Meg and 256Meg. cards. For smooth operation I always recommend same size cards, and obviously on dual channel - exactly the same (although this is not the case here)

Anyway yes it can be low in spec, but I've found Linux does perform better (just like Windows does) When more Ram and CPU power is available. Just from my experience (which is not all that much ;)) :D

Nope...3 slots, 3x 256 Cards...It's weird there are 2 purple and 1 orange slot (or vice versa)...And running dual channel...I have learnt a few things working in a computer shop! All DDR2 400Mhz...:grinthumb

And we have Ram sticks coming out the razoo I could probably throw in 3x 512MB cards...But the boss will start asking questions if I start pinching 1Gig sticks...I personally can't stand a machine with less than a Gig (and automatically despise any machine with Vista) but half the time I don't get to do much about it...

Now if you start on Vista (and Windows 7, not to mention XP :D) I could probably be as specific or technical as you like :) So maybe don't get me started ;) :D

Anyway 3x256Meg is pretty good (and getting harder to find)
Also don't put any 1Gig cards in that machine (Power is higher, and boards fail :D, basically old boards weren't made for Gigs)

Anyway enough chat must go. :grinthumb

:D Well XP is pretty much where I can tinker the most (my poor laptop!)...But I try to avoid Vista and am gonna wait till Win7 comes out (or maybe til they release the first Service Pack) till I play with that...

We have so many 256MB cards...It's kind of annoying...

And the MoBo on my server machine only reads 64MB per stick (tried a couple of 128s so 2x 64 is all I could put in)

The Gigabyte board isn't too bad...Runs games pretty well (the Cybercafe side of the shop runs Gigabyte boards, Ati graphics cards etc) and we just ghost all the harddrives...

Cheers for your help bud, have a good one:grinthumb

Its alright I had a computer tech shop too, and I re-Ghosted all the drives myself once a week.

Basically there were programs installed "locally" that a liveCD didn't help with
But I did have a lot of other techs say, just use a LiveCD, but I never did.

Yes I was the owner\Manager\tech onsite and offsite. Basically everything.

Sweet...We just run this program which each time the machine boots it always goes back to the same image (freezer or something named like that)...Should probably run bug scans on each machine to be on the safe side but we never get round to it...

Good thing about ghosting is it copies over all the games etc...

:haha: That was my bad...I saw the little icon and wondered what it was...

And Yes I'm the kind of cat who'd rather stuf something up pushing buttons than reading a manual:D

Actually I do that too, too many times I have absolutely stuffed Windows :D But being arrogant :D and stubborn I fix it even if it takes me days :)

:cool: Me too...Easy enough to undo though...Though I need to know what I've done on my laptop, because I just had a BSOD when I tried to shutdown last...

Yeah I know, but this is my fist BSOD since before my re-install (And even then that was caused by the RAMDisk)...If it happens again Ill follow it up but I'm just gonna be ignorant and lazy this time around...

And turns out this dedicated machine for virus removal is the only machine we have setup running Vista...So I don't get to fluff around with Ubuntu :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back