Default applications and windows users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amebaid

i'm using win 2000 with 2 users installed on it me the administrator and another power user group ..

i'm facing some thing that i don't know if there is really a solution for it or not

it's about the default applications ..

for example i'm using Firefox and Thunderbird and the default browser and mail client
yet the other user prefers to use IE with outlook

that is just for example as there is lots of applications that we don't share the interest in with each other image viewer , media type player and even he pdf reader her prefer the adobe reader and i like foxit reader

so each time i open my account i find all the files opened by the applications that i don't like
for example once i open the screen i press the mail bottom on the keyboard to check my mail with my Thunderbird but i find outlook popping on the screen asking for password .
the same for the other user too ..

so is there any way that can separate the default applications for each user ?

hope you got what i mean

thanks

There is a place in the system registry for user-specific associations, but most applications (including Windows itself) do not use it.

You could customize the entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes - these overrride the systemwide stuff and apply only to the current user.

You could also take away the right to edit global file associations from the Power Users group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back