Dell 5520

Have you tried to update the BIOS or done anything recently to the computer? I once bought a replacement motherboard when the one in my desktop died. It was identical but had a more advanced version of BIOS. It wouldn't recognise the processor so I couldn't boot into Windows. Unless you can boot into Windows you can't change the BIOS version. The motherboard was useless in my computer.

Try booting into the BIOS and set it to default having made a note of the original settings. Look out in particular for the settings for the hard drive - ATA, AHCI etc and play around changing those.

If the BIOS gets screwed up the motherboard is likely to be unusable. Unfortunately I can't advise you further on this one. I don't want to make things worse. It may be an easy fix and hopefully someone else will be able to help.

Last edited:
It's possible to boot into Windows from a USB stick prepped with the OS. If it will recognise the stick and boot from it having changed the BIOS boot order you know the motherboard is OK. Sorry, but I've never done it so can't help with detail. Otherwise, maybe take a chance and try to reinstall Windows on the existing drive or a new one. If none of that works I think you need a new laptop.

Back