Dell and HP launching new Ryzen/Vega-powered laptops

midian182

Staff member

AMD has given Intel some real competition with its Ryzen desktop processors, though its Vega GPUs haven’t been quite as successful—partly due to their poor availability. But the decision to combine the pair for its new APUs, codenamed Raven Ridge, looks to be paying off; they’ve gained some great reviews and have appeared in several machines. Now, the chips are making their way into Dell’s latest Inspiron 17 5000-series laptops.

Dell is joining Acer, HP, and Lenovo in releasing Ryzen Mobile-powered laptops. Its Inspiron 17 5000-series gives buyers the option of either a Ryzen 3 2200U or a Ryzen 5 2500U, the latter of which you can read about here.

The notebooks feature 17.3-inch screens, Full HD TN displays, up to 32 GB of RAM, USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports, HDMI 1.4b output, a 3-in-1 SD card reader, a fingerprint scanner, and even a tray-loading DVD reader/writer. Strangely, there’s no SSD option; internal storage is limited to a 1TB or 2TB 5400 RPM SATA HDD.

The model packing the Ryzen 3 2200U with Radeon Vega 3 graphics starts at $679.99 for 8GB of DDR4-2400MHz RAM and a 1TB HDD, while the Ryzen 5 2500U version with Radeon Vega 8 Graphics starts at $899.99 and goes up to $1000 for 16GB of DDR4-2400MHz RAM and a 2TB HDD.

The Inspiron 17 5000 is available to order now and should be delivered later this month. If you’re looking to do some 1080p mobile gaming on a budget, it could be a good choice.

For those after something with a bit more power, HP’s warranty support pages have revealed the company is releasing three new EliteBooks featuring Ryzen Mobile chips. The EliteBook 735 G5, 745 G5 and 755 G5 come with 13-inch, 14-inch and 15-inch screens, respectively, and can be fitted with Ryzen 3 2300U, Ryzen 5 2500U, and Ryzen 7 2700U chips. Moreover, these laptops come with SSDs as standard.

Permalink to story.

It's no wonder AMD isn't as present in laptops. They keep putting their CPUs on horrible machines. TN screens? HDD drives instead of SSD? I will never, ever buy any machine like it, and I consistently tell people who ask me for advice to avoid those like the plague. I don't want to push more people to Intel, but it's the only realistic choice when you want a decent machine regarding everything else aside the CPU.

It's no wonder AMD isn't as present in laptops. They keep putting their CPUs on horrible machines. TN screens? HDD drives instead of SSD? I will never, ever buy any machine like it, and I consistently tell people who ask me for advice to avoid those like the plague. I don't want to push more people to Intel, but it's the only realistic choice when you want a decent machine regarding everything else aside the CPU.

It's been my experience that AMD CPU and AMD GPU are always in budget machines.

An SSD is still more expensive per GB than a HDD. A 2TB HDD is like $50 or less. A 2TB SSD is $500 or more.

It's good to have these budget options for getting a student a laptop or a non-enthusiast a desktop, but you gotta pay to play nowadays. Especially with these coin miners driving up prices.

The model packing the Ryzen 3 2200U with Radeon Vega 3 graphics starts at $679.99 for 8GB of DDR4-2400MHz RAM and a 1TB HDD
There is only 1 sample on CPUBenchmark so it will probably change a bit, but if you can get similar processing power for less than $700 it's definitely worth looking into it. Similarly priced with the i5-7200u line of notebooks but it's far superior (Again, only 1 benchmark so this could change), the problem is the size.

It still amazes me how few of laptops today come with SSD's. Even low-mid range models...But then again, your average consumer hears 1TB is more than 256GB and are sold.

One customer of mine asked advice on buying a new laptop, she had a budget of ~$1,000 (overkill for her needs). I stressed the importance of buying something with an SSD, or even buy something cheaper and we'll upgrade it with an SSD. She stores nothing, just wants the thing to be fast.

She goes to Costco and comes back with a 17" Dell, i7, 16gb ram, Nvidia graphics, and...1TB 5400rpm HDD. *facepalm*. Now she's complaining about it being slow.

"they" arent doing anything - its the OEMs. even the biggest AMD fans (ex subreddit) know these laptops are straight trash. Putting just an HDD in a laptop over $500 in 2018 is depressing. AMD just wants to sell the chips, its up to dell/lenovo/acer/etc to stop making garbage around them.

It still amazes me how few of laptops today come with SSD's. Even low-mid range models...But then again, your average consumer hears 1TB is more than 256GB and are sold.

One customer of mine asked advice on buying a new laptop, she had a budget of ~$1,000 (overkill for her needs). I stressed the importance of buying something with an SSD, or even buy something cheaper and we'll upgrade it with an SSD. She stores nothing, just wants the thing to be fast.

She goes to Costco and comes back with a 17" Dell, i7, 16gb ram, Nvidia graphics, and...1TB 5400rpm HDD. *facepalm*. Now she's complaining about it being slow.

The crazy thing is a 500GB SSD is extremely affordable now. I routinely see these at consumer prices for the 130-140 range and these are the nice Samsung 860 EVO drives. You would think laptop manufacturers could put cheaper SSDs in the machines and please their customer so much more compared to a mechanical drive.

The crazy thing is a 500GB SSD is extremely affordable now. I routinely see these at consumer prices for the 130-140 range and these are the nice Samsung 860 EVO drives. You would think laptop manufacturers could put cheaper SSDs in the machines and please their customer so much more compared to a mechanical drive.

Exactly. I guarantee the first manufacturer to make SSD's standard will be known by consumers for having the "fastest laptops".

The Bad:
Dell boss laughs at AMD, says Intel is the 'dominant player'
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/61062/dell-boss-laughs-amd-intel-dominant-player/index.html

The Good:
AMD 12nm Zen+ Based 2nd Generation Ryzen 7 2000 CPU Performance Benchmarks Leak Out – Pinnacle Ridge Shows Impressive Clock Bumps, Up To 4.35 GHz Clocks

(The first performance benchmarks of the second generation AMD Ryzen 7 CPU have leaked out. The benchmarks come from HWBattle (via Videocardz) who have historically been accurate about such leaks as they do get their hands on unreleased (Engineering / Pre-Production) samples from their sources.)

"they" arent doing anything - its the OEMs. even the biggest AMD fans (ex subreddit) know these laptops are straight trash. Putting just an HDD in a laptop over $500 in 2018 is depressing. AMD just wants to sell the chips, its up to dell/lenovo/acer/etc to stop making garbage around them.

"They" meant OEMs. Sorry I failed to make that clear. It was early and I hadn't had my coffee yet :)

They actually don't do this at all.
This is OEM's doing this, usually on purpose with payment from intel.
When Excavator shipped years ago.... the prelim tests showed that it was competitive with Intel chips of the time.
Immediately it was shelved into only the shoddiest products.... here we have Ryzen mobile out since November and there is barely a laptop worth a damn that is carrying AMD.... and now these joke models come out? $1000 for a TN screen and 2TB hdd? Nobody will buy that (and the vendors know it) so Intel keeps its mobile marketshare, as their new Coffee Lake chips are in every laptop known to man already!

Don't for a second believe that AMD is making these horrible designs.

Buy the Acer swift 3, they have SSD + Ryzen and its the only unit that comes standard with these specs.
Acer has always been the brand to give a fair shake to AMD.
I remmeber their little 11.6 laptops running the A6-1450 Jaguar APU's.... they were the ONLY player in that space. Same with the AMD C-50 laptops...
Other vendors were using atom exclusively for their lower end / mini laptops when Atom wasn't at all competitive.

Back