Dell D610 Power Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell D610 Latitude notebook. It had some troubles powering up. I went to the Dell website and tried the Fn-Power trick and it worked for a few times. Now, the power lights do not come on at all and the computer is dead. The battery power lights blinks occasionally.

Is the mothermoard dead? How hard is it to change a motherboard?

Thanks,
antfarm

The problem could be anywhere... bad memory module, bad hard drive, dirty cpu cooler, defective CMOS battery, bad optical drive. Is the computer still under warranty, because there are certain things we should not try if it is?

Have you tried booting to a CD or DVD install disk?

Have you talked to Dell tech support?

Doesn't sound like the motherboard is dead, but rather that some other component may have failed... We need to know more about your system.

The computer is 4 years old and no longer under warranty.

It will no longer power on with the battery in or out, so I can't boot it with a disk. The battery light on the right will only blink ocassionally.

I did the online tech support through Dell and it said to call them. I have not because I figured they would charge me since it is out of warranty. Should I call Dell tech support?

More Information: Dell D610
Intel Pentium 1.73 Hz
512 Mb Memory
DVD, Floppy Drive (removable)
56k Modem
Wireless

I don't know how to tell any information about the motherboard or other interal parts without it starting up or opening the computer.

What other information do I need to find out?

Thanks.

I'd suggest call Dell Tech support.

Even if your system is out of warranty, Latitude systems have life-time telephone support. If they're going to charge you for something it'll be for the replacement of the parts that are determined to be damaged. In which case you're free to accept or decline :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back