Dell Dimension 4400 hardware compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so i got that computer bare, just a mobo, i added a P4 cpu that is said to be compatable(1ghz or something close) and an agp video card and a hard drive and it doesnt show ANY video, i know the card is good so i am guessing it is a hardware compatabillity issue. the computer turns on and the ans go and you can hear the hard drive doing atuff when it first starts.
there are lights on the back that are labeled a b c and d
a and b are light orange and c and d are green if that helps
could the cpu cause that or would it be the vid card?

Perhaps the CPU is not supported.

From the Dell website for Dimension 4400: Microprocessor type: Intel® Pentium® 4 microprocessor that runs at 1.50, 1.60, 1.70, 1.80, 1.90, 2.0, 2.20, or 2.40 GHz.

Also, you didn't say anything about RAM or Power Supply.

the power supply is the stock model# HP-P2507F3C, and the ram is 256MB DDR PC2100 and only in one slot, and the cpu says exactly this on it

"intel '04
pentium 4
1.8A GHZ/512/400/1.5v
sl660 PHILIPPINES
7241A936- 0048"

i think it is weird it only says how many amps it uses and not its GHZ

What graphics card did you install? Perhaps your 250W power supply is not strong enough for it.

Will it even post? If you are getting NO video, even the motherboard logo at the very beginning, the graphics card might be bad. Can you try another to test or can you try your graphics card in another known good system?

Also, since you got a new motherboard and you have an old hard drive with, I suppose, Windows already installed on it, you will have to do a Windows repair or a full re-installation of Windows.

mailpup said:
Will it even post? If you are getting NO video, even the motherboard logo at the very beginning, the graphics card might be bad. Can you try another to test or can you try your graphics card in another known good system?

Also, since you got a new motherboard and you have an old hard drive with, I suppose, Windows already installed on it, you will have to do a Windows repair or a full re-installation of Windows.

no i dont even get POST, absolutely nothing at all.
i think a previous post was correct about the CPU not being compatible due to the fact that nothing else has worked ( switching out other parts) but i hope not, they are expensive ( i use the computers to make my money and have absolutely none...lol).

yes it is a known good video card and i do have a hard drive that already has windows in it.

I should have done this earlier but I wasn't thinking. I checked the Dell diagnostic codes and this is what it said for your led configuration: "Memory failed to be sized or enabled." Click here. The suggested solution is to reseat the RAM modules.

pufftmd said:
the power supply is the stock model# HP-P2507F3C, and the ram is 256MB DDR PC2100 and only in one slot, and the cpu says exactly this on it

"intel '04
pentium 4
1.8A GHZ/512/400/1.5v
sl660 PHILIPPINES
7241A936- 0048"

i think it is weird it only says how many amps it uses and not its GHZ

Just a note, the cpu is a 1.8ghz revision A cpu, it's not 1.8 amps. It's has 512kb cache and a 400fsb. I think you probably have a SL66Q pentium 4 cpu, not a SL660, since there is no listing for SL660 on intel's site and a Q can look like an 0.

Simple. You do not have enough memory.n 256 MB of PC2100 just isn't going to do it. You need a minimum of 512, and for full operations nowadays.
That computer requires PC2700 in at least 512 MB, but will run better with PC3200... The prices are cheap now. See Buffalo memory at www.directron.com, www.zipzoomfly.com, www.newegg.com, www.tigerdirect.com or your favorite vendor.
Each slot will take one 512 MB module. 512 MB is barely acceptable, so consider a matched set of Buffalo, Kingston, Crucial, infineon, or other first tier memory.

Even though 256mb is not very much by todays standards, it would not affect the ability of the computer to post. A computer will post with any bios supported amount of memory as long as the memory is working. As mailpup already said, the code indicates a memory problem. It could be only partially seated, incompatible, defective, or in the wrong slot (depending on motherboard). That or the mobo could be FUBAR.

It is not the size of the memory module...It is the fact that the specs require PC2700 or PC3200, not PC2100, in my opinion... or that memory module is bad, or the memory socket is bad.

You do not have enough memory
It is not the size of the memory module.
:confused:

PC2100 (DDR266) is the correct memory, at least according to Kingston, for the dell dimension 4400 system. PC2700 or PC3200 should also be fine since most decent ram has SPD values that allow it to be detected and run at slower speeds as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back