Dell Dimension E310 Graphics Card Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

VerdeFlash

I have a Dell Dimension E310 computer
It has a Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz

I would like to upgrade the graphics card to support the game Portal and the upcoming Spore.

According to the Spore website, for it I will need:
A 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0

And according to Valve's Steam website, Portal requires:
DirectX® 8 level Graphics Card

The Portal one is slightly vague, but I know for sure that my normal graphics card does not work.

I looked up my computers specifications on the web, and it said that it has 1 PCI x1, and 2 PCI

My question is: Is it possible for me to upgrade my graphics card on this computer? And if so, what kind, and how much does it cost?

the second one should not need a new Power Supply if the one in u're computer is not going bad. Dell puts the poorest power supplies in there computers.

Tell us all of your specifications for you power supply please...

Follow my thread here and follow step number three. In order to figure out what video card is compatible, we will need to know how much power your computer can use up w/o overpowering it.

nickc said:
Dell puts the poorest power supplies in there computers.
Not really. Some models use PC Power & Cooling PSUs that are consistently underrated. A good example would be the 305W PSU you may find on some models, which is capable of powering an 8800GS easily.

@VerdeFlash, follow cfitzarl's advice, since pairing a powerful card with an inadequate PSU can be disastrous.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

I will look at my power supply really soon.

Thanks for referring me to the thread, cfitzarl! It's really helpful and I should've looked at the stickies first!

I looked in the computer and I saw a whole bunch of numbers on the PSU.

I'm not sure what each one means. Also, the symbol with the lines is upside-down, but that's the best I could describe it with text.This is what it said:

+5V =-=-= /19.0A, -12V=-=-= /1.0A,
+12V =-=-= /14.0A, +3.3V=-=-= /5.0A,
+5VFP =-=-= /1.0A

I think these are the right numbers. If not, tell me and I'll check again.

Those numbers should be about right. As I suspected, the PSU is very underpowered for the X1550. You might want to consider the FX5500 PCI instead. It'll play Portal IMO, but don't expect it to look very good.

I'm sorry, I don't exactly know all of the terms and meanings...

I just want to know if any of the cards wouldn't need a PSU upgrade, and if so which one?

First look at my specs I got Dell Dimension 3100 with Pny Nvidia 6200 256MB pci.

I was told on the Dell forums Dell under rate there power supplies.
so a 230 watt supply could be 330 watt.

I can play any game, like Crazy Taxi 3, Deus ex invisible war.

Ah, that PNY card is a marvel, but notoriously difficult to find at a good price. Just to make sure, electromagnetic do you have the same PSU as the OP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back