Dell drops Adamo ultra-thin laptop, new model in the works

Jos

Apparently Dell didn't have a Sandy Bridge refresh in mind when it started to offer steep discounts on its ultra-thin Adamo notebook. Now that inventory has been depleted, folks looking to buy the 13-inch laptop on Dell's website are recommended the thicker but more powerful XPS 15 or 17 instead. You might still find one as a refurbished system but, according to Cnet's sources, the Dell Adamo line and brand name will be discontinued.

First revealed at CES in 2009, the Adamo boasted looks and portability to challenge Apple's 13-inch MacBook Air. Besides an eye-catchingly thin (0.65-inch) aluminum casing, it also offered fast storage via solid-state drives, ultra-power-efficient Intel Core 2 Duo processors, and a SIM card slot on the side of the notebook.

Not all is lost for fans of thin and light notebooks, though. Those looking for a no-compromise system that emphasizes on portability can look at Toshiba's well-regarded Portege R700 series, while Dell is also expected to launch a new Adamo-like system within the next six months under one of its existing consumer brands.

Permalink to story.

I always liked the Adamo laptops, they have a very professional look. I find that many laptops, including the Air, are way too flashy. I'm sure for many students worried about fashion that this isn't for them. Although, I'm not exactly what you would call stylish. I'm disappointed they are discontinuing this, but I look forward to seeing what they are going to replace it with. If only they could bring the prices down.

Back