Dell E1505 - good battery "not working"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen a lot of posts about Dell laptops suddenly losing battery power. But I've not found a post with my particular question.

Several weeks ago, when running on battery only, my computer started going into hibernate mode without any warning. The battery icon in the system tray would show the battery to be almost fully charged, but after about 30 minutes, the hibernate would occur. I usually use it with A/C power. Last night, when I removed the power cord, the computer suddenly lost all power, as if there were no battery installed.

When I look at the battery meter (Fn+F3), It shows 96% charged, and the "battery health" tab says my battery is performing normally. Additionally, when I remove the battery and push the little battery icon on it, all 6 LEDs light up, indicating that there are no dead cells. If I push and hold the button for 3 seconds, no LEDs light up, which supposedly means the battery is healthy.

I appreciate any suggestions.

I'm running Windows XP, SP2, and using a wireless network.

Your laptop Dell E1505 sounds as though it may have either a motherboard or just contacts issue

Regarding the contacts, make sure both the battery and if possible, the motherboard contacts to the battery are clean (usually blowing out all dust)

Regarding the motherboard, firstly check the warranty status and also have a look at extending expired warranty. As this does sound like a hardware fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back