Dell Inspirion 5150 HDD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cah you see the Dell screen that comes up when you press <F12>? That will tell you whether certain components are not working.

Obviously, this is a very serious problem.. If you have been carrying it around, a cable could have become loose... but even that is not easy for a person to fix. You have to take off the keyboard by removing screws from the bottom, then CAREFULLY, SLOWLY remove and reseat all cables that you can reach.
But this is probably a job for a techician... and it sounds expensive. It could be anything... electrical interference, motherboard failure due to a specific component...
But it can be odd stuff... I have seen a failed printer cause the problem if the printer connection cable remains connected... or a defective optical drive can also cause it... or bad memory module.

Remove everything you can, to reduce the computer to basics... one memory module, a known good hard drive... then shut down and change memory modules.... shut down and change from hard drive to optical drive with disk... Borrow an external US Drive that is hard drive, floppy drive... can anything added to USB be seen on a screen... or do they power up.

Try every possibility before you turn it over to a technician... but that may become the choice you have to make.

There have been five Inspiron 5150's for sale on eBay in the past 18 hours that were "As Is" or "dead." It appears that have some problems...
Our tech manual reports the Inspiron 5150 is particularly susceptible to failures connected to residual problems with dead batter, XGA Screen, Video card, RAM, Keyboard fault, power adapter, and DVDRW... where there are connected problems. The biggest problems, apparently, are connected to the DC Jack, which is a removable or replaceable part... but I could find nothing further.

Yes i chkd the F12 for HD and it shows "none" w/both the original & new HD. The ribbon cord attaches to HDD securely but there is a module which is standard hookup with 5150 which is placed on rear round pins(44) to mate w/"spear tip like" original recept. I ran the "extensive troubleshooting" for the service pack ID for the unit and it came back with all systems are working correctly! With the primary HD not detected how can that be and I also loaded the factory sealed CD which went all the way thru then showed "windows is now starting" then screen to blk.w/msg again "primary HD not found/available"
Thanks for your consideration and guidance.

How old in months or years is this laptop?
Are you good with a screwdriver, and do you have a #1 Philips screwdriver... it is the smallest of the three household sizes.
We might want to remove the BIOS Battery... wait and while, and reinstall it... as a way to reset the machine...
Are you handy with cutting and reconnecting wires, or do you have a friend who is?

About 4 yrs i think it was my granddaughter's for school. Have all the tools, fairly good at soldering etc. Is the BIOS battery the small one on the MB?

It varies depending on the production run. Most are on a 3 to six inch cable that can be moved around for best position... simple job wherever it is ... just cut the wire... replacement usually comes on a wire as they are difficult to solder... then twist and solder when done... do some shopping when you are trying to find the correct one... as the prices can be as low as $4.50 or as high as $35... usual price is around $14 for a quick buy online... order via a google search or eBay search using the digits on the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back