Dell Inspiron 5100 boots but hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The computer boots into Win XP like normal but then it goes nowhere. The mose will move aroud but I con't get anything on the screen? Any ideas? I have changed the boot sequence and tried to go straight into a Win CD but it boots like normal and then nothing.

Thanks and I have learned a lot by just lerking here.

Tim

Ok, lets talk a minute about your windows xp load on your hard drive... How old is it? I mean how long have you been running this install of Windows xp? How did it run? Any viruses or issues with file curruptions now or in the past? How did it (your laptop) function just before all this happened?

Assuming your xp is microsoft legit, I would attempt to reinstall Windows and system drivers.. Yup, a full reformat and reload of your hard drive... The benefits here is that during the format portion in this procedure, the format tool will check your hard drive health by looking for dead sectors... If you have too many dead sectors Windows install will come to a hault, this is a sign that your hard drives life span has come to an end.... But if you have no hard drive bad sector issues you might just need a full, fresh, install of Windows...

I give this advice not knowing some key details like how old your system is, any previous problems with your systems windows health or previous hardware issues... Also, my advisery aboved is based on the fact that you are still unable to get your current windows to load and run...

If you don't know or you are unfamiliar with re-loading Windows and system drivers you should either research it, and also make sure you have all the software you will need, atleast your Windows xp cd and you Nic/ethernet drivers... Dell is pretty good at providing online drivers, or see a pc tech/ or a pc store if this is too much for you...

I hope you let us know how you make out, and I wish you good luck..

You know what? just thinking about all of this again, did you try to boot up Windows in safe mode???

Try that first, have it boot in safe mode, yes its a bit slower to boot up, (if it boots up at all) , but you want to get to your desk top and than try and check your hard drives health by going to: my computer > tools tab > scan now (check both boxes and reboot)...

Again this is assuming you are able to boot up in "safe mode".. If not see the top portion of this post :)

First, this is my nephews computer, he got it for cleaning out a house that was moved out of in the middle of the night. It did boot into the administrators name and a girls name. I dont know what he did to it but now it boots and then sits at the win xp screen like it is in suspend mode. I ran the diagnostics on it which took aout 2 hours and it said that everything is OK. I have not tried safe mode but I will now. Thanks and I will post the results. The age of the win xp I have no idea....

Thanks,

Tim

Dell inspiron boots but hangs

It will not boot into safe mode either. I dont have the software that comes with but I do have a legit copy of Win Xp pro and it will not boot to the CD. I inserted my laptop CD and it tried to boot to it then it said that it was not the riight software. After that, back to boot to Xp home and hangs. The cursor will move, is there a way to put it into sleep or something?

Thanks for the help!

Tim

As this was somebody elses PC it's always a good idea to make a fresh install of windows (gets rid of all their rubbish).

Boot to bios and set the first boot device to CDROM. Insert your legit copy of winXP and then press (usually F10) and select 'save settings and exit'. After reboot you should then be prompted 'Press any key to boot from CDROM'.

Follow the onscreen prompts for fresh install of windows.

I can hit the F12 key trying to load from CD but it wont do it.I try to go into safe mode, looks like it is going then back to the first screen. The one that says Win Xp, themouse moves arond but nothing else. I can go into setup and move the cd to first boot option but then the same thing again. I ran the onboard diagnostics it it did not any problems... I am lost!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Tim

F12 boot set-up
select boot to utility partition
run diagnostics and see what it tells you
-start with express test
-if no luck go into syptom tree and run custom test

I ran the entire diagnostics and it says everything is OK. I have done the F-12 and changed bios settings. It goes through all the motions then back to the XP screen and stays. The mouse is not frozen! I have scoured the owners manual looking to see if the toolbar is hidden, if the computer is suspeneded some how. I thing the CD player may not be readin, so I ordered on from e-bay yesterday.

This one has me totally confused!

Thanks for the replies and if you can think of anything else please keep me advised.

Thanks,

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back