Dell takes a shot at Apple with refreshed M3800 mobile workstation

Shawn Knight

Staff member

dell m3800 apple macbook mobile laptop workstation sundance film festival 3k precision m3800

Dell is using the Sundance Film Festival as the setting to unveil its latest creation, a refresh of its Precision M3800 notebook that Dell claims is the world’s thinnest and lightest true 15-inch mobile workstation. It’s also better than Apple’s MacBook Pro for at least seven reasons, the company notes.

The now privately-owned company has a pretty convincing pitch as the M3800 is available with a 15.6-inch, 4K Ultra HD (3,840 x 2,160) IGZO2 UltraSharp touch display made with Corning Gorilla Glass NBT. At that resolution, it has 3.4 million more pixels than the Retina display on the 15-inch MacBook Pro.

dell m3800 apple macbook mobile laptop workstation sundance film festival 3k precision m3800

Potential buyers can configure the M3800 with a fourth generation “Haswell” Intel Core i7-4712HQ processor, Nvidia Quadro K1100M graphics, up to 16GB of memory and up to 2TB of internal storage (1TB hard drive + 1TB solid state drive).

Connectivity options include Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 with Bluetooth 4.0, a USB 3.0 Ethernet dongle, Dell Wireless 802.11ac, an HDMI port, a Thunderbolt 2.0 / mini DisplayPort, two USB 3.0 ports, one USB 2.0 port, a 3-in-1 card reader and a combination headphone / microphone jack.

The system measures less than 0.71 inches (18mm) thick with the base model tipping the scales at 4.15 pounds (1.88kg).

Pricing starts at $1,649 which unfortunately, doesn’t include the 4K resolution display (you’ll need to tack on an extra $70 if you want it). Dell’s presser says systems are available as of today however the estimated ship date when configuring the M3800 is February 10.

Permalink to story.

15" macbook Pros are a good deal if they are less than $2,000. Good luck with that.
I don't look at Apple products too closely because the 1st thing I notice is the sticker price and I always wind up with a severe migraine, serious arc eyes and a terrible taste in my mouth. Afterwards I usually end spending a fortune at the doctors.
It's terrible (or great, it depends on how you look at it) when you're as allergic to Apples prices and gadgets as I am. :D

I thought the same thing when I upgraded to the previous M3800 last year. I opted to get the 2k resolution screen (I think? Maybe higher) version and while it does look nice, I've noticed that it mostly hinders my experience with the workstation. Virtually nothing is optimized for the screen resolution, which makes the text in programs found in adobe's creative cloud and solidworks, etc as small as a pin needle.

Back