Desktop: Internal hard drive questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

neowing

Hello ? Techspot.
I am looking for "Desktop: Internal harddrive".
But I have several questions regarding upgrade my harddrive:

Story will following....
Someday, I will upgrade my OS(WinXP) into Win7. However, I have to choose between retail and OEM version of Harddrive because my motherboard is "ASUS P5B Deluxe". I am not sure it will support Win7 and if it is not support Win7, I might buy the new motherboard.

Which version should I buy ? Retail or OEM.

I am prefer:
SATA 3.0
7200 RPM 32MB Cache
Price range: $50 -$75
Brand: I am not sure but anything that must the best brand.

My computer spec will following:

Intel Core 2 CPU: 6400, 2.13GHz
WinXP SP3
Asus P5B Deluxe
2GB Ram
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10N
Harddrive: WDC WD800JB-00JJCO
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

From
neowing

Seagate hard drives are my favorite drives, but it is a choice you must make in your area of the World

Retail will have the SATA power and interface cable. Maybe mounting screws too, OEM will have the drive alone. If you have SATA cables go OEM, if you don't have cables go Retail

What if....

I will upgrade my OS(WinXP) into Win7. However, I have to choose between retail and OEM version of Harddrive because my motherboard is "ASUS P5B Deluxe". I am not sure it will support Win7 and if it is not support Win7, I might buy the new motherboard.

I am prefer:
SATA 3.0
7200 RPM 32MB Cache
Price range: $50 -$75
Brand: I am not sure but anything that must the best brand.

My computer spec will following:

Intel Core 2 CPU: 6400, 2.13GHz
WinXP SP3
Asus P5B Deluxe
2GB Ram
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10N
Harddrive: WDC WD800JB-00JJCO
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

From
neowing

From
neowing

It doesn't matter what motherboard you have as long as it will support SATA devices. If it doesn't support SATA 3.0, there is a jumper on a SATA 3.0 drive that you can set for older SATA spec motherboards. Windows 7 should work ok. there is a Windows 7 compatibility test you can run on your current hardware

It doesn't matter what motherboard you have as long as it will support SATA devices. If it doesn't support SATA 3.0, there is a jumper on a SATA 3.0 drive that you can set for older SATA spec motherboards. Windows 7 should work ok. there is a Windows 7 compatibility test you can run on your current hardware

You mean even if I buy OEM Internal Harddrive, I don't have to worry about if I change the motherboard as long as it support SATA ?

From
neowing

With respect to the HDD itself, there is NO differenct between OEM and retail models. The difference between OEM and Retail drives is that OEM is a "bare: drive. there is no software disc, or SATA connector cable. The software that you might need is usually available at the HDD manufacturer's web site. The SATA cable is another matter. Most motherboards (retail), come with SATA cables. However, while the drives usually ship free, if you need a cable to connect the drive, there is usually a shipping charge involved. This means,in some cases, almost ten dollars for the cable and its shipping.

As TMagic said Seagate makes great drives. You also might want to look at the new Western Digital "Caviar Black" models.

Hello ? I forgot to ask one thing: which online store is the cheapest and fast deliverly ?
I am in USA region. I know there are "newegg" and "tigerdirect": Can anyone list any other online store ?

From
neowing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back