Desktop is blank, no taskbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

notechie

Hello,

I have another problem. When I restart the computer it restarts to a blank desktop, no icons and no taskbar. Can't right-click, but I can do CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Also, I have noticed that everything is a bit bigger, like how it looks like in Safe Mode (which I am not in).

Help, please?

The Taskbar can be in 1 of 4 places.
Move the mouse to all sides of the desktop.
Is this a new OS installation,or a sudden change ?
Its easy to set your things smaller with apperance,but you need right click.
Why did you post in this forum ?

The Taskbar can be in 1 of 4 places.
Move the mouse to all sides of the desktop.
Is this a new OS installation,or a sudden change ?
Its easy to set your things smaller with apperance,but you need right click.
Why did you post in this forum ?

This is a sudden change...could this be caused by a virus? <-- That's why I posted here.

This is a sudden change...could this be caused by a virus? <-- That's why I posted here.

it's difficult to say without any other information than what you've provided. Press ctrl alt del and start explorer.exe process manually. that may get ur icons back so u can do the eight step proccess listed as a "please read" in the virus forum

This is actually a different computer btw, and not the same one from the other Virus? post. That one is fixed now (or so I think). I put in Norton 360 (paid for it) so I think that will do...

For this computer, I couldn't find explorer.exe...don't know where it is. I also accidently put explorer.scf in the recycle bin (but I didn't empty the recycle bin) and now I can't recover it (cannot open recycle bin).

Comodo Firewall also detected malware when I tried to uinstall AOL 9.0 and Limewire. That's just cruel! Anyways, the laptop came with AOL 9.0 pre-installed.

Okay, nevermind. I re-installed the Toshiba boot disk and cleared everything (didn't need most of the files anyway). It's still slow though, but otherwise, everything's back to normal.

Case closed.

It's probably a explorer crash. CTRL ALT DLT and go file, then to run. Type in explorer.exe and it should reshow your icons/desktop etc and get you on the right track to solving it.

I would then snag Spyware Doctor Starter Edition (free, and a great program) and do a full scan.

where Explorer is

Right click and create a Desktop shortcut,
It's not a OS Installation.You have to add it.
But MY Computer isn't much different.;)
:)

If it's Vista or XP you could consider a sfc.exe run to repair or replace those missing files you might of deleted as well via the repair or OS installation disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back