Desktop just died, wont switch back on please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
heya guys

Im in need of some advice, my computer died today when i went to shut it down instead of going through the normal process of windows shutdown it just instantly turned off, and one of the lights on the front strated flashing i have to lights onthe front one is the hard drive and tbh im not sure what the other light indicates its just on all the time pretty much when my pc is on.

anyways iv tried changing he power cables and letting my pc cool down but no luck its still dead as a dodo. im thinking its not the power supply unit as the ligh on my network cable slot is still lit up so it must be getting power right, perhaps its the switch? i dont know im really worried incase its a problem with my hard drive and i might have lost all my uni work on there!? but i really dont know hope someone on here can give me some advice, i just went to a local pc repair shop and the guy didnt want help me at all because he said he didnt have enough time to fix it anyways any advice would be great

thanks alot

Lucy xx

When you attempt to boot up your pc what happens? do you have anything displayed on the screen, do you hear the computer being turned on at all or is it just not starting up at all?

Indeed my guess would be a Bugged PSU if nothing pops up on screen and you don't hear the pc turn on. If you hear the pc turn on (fans spinning and all) but do not get anything on screen followed by a shutdown then its most likely the motherboard.

You might be running a cheap PSU and that has a potential to even fry your computers parts and components. If it boils down to the PSU, i suggest investing in a reliable PSU like Antec perhaps or Silverstone

lori21 said:
im thinking its not the power supply unit as the ligh on my network cable slot is still lit up so it must be getting power right, perhaps its the switch?
That doesn't mean much, I think every power supply failure I've ever seen in real life still allowed the light on the motherboard or NIC to work.

I've not seen a power supply die like you described, but the symptoms certainly point to it being the power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back