Desktop will not start

Long time lurker and first time poster needs some help please.

My Gateway 7200x desktop won't start. No lights, fan, beeps, just dead. I thought it was the psu (6 years old) so I borrowed a known good Corsair GS600 & installed it.
But I still don't have anything working.

With my old psu I jumped the green wire with a known ground (black) & the fan would come on. I tried the same trick with the new psu & can't get it to work although it moved about 1/16in & stopped.

Several people (not experts) have told me that if my psu works (old one) then the mobo is bad.

Last week I did backup most of the info to an external drive but I sure hate to lose all my info on the C drive.

For the last 2 months or so at odd times my computer would shut down & reboot for no apparent reason. Other times is seemed as if it froze up then take 1-5 minutes before it came back to life.

Can someone help me to diagnose what it happening? I sure would appreciate any help offered.
Steve

The other 3 pcs I have use a different sizes mobo connectors so I can´t try that. But I do have a Fluke multimeter here to use. Plus I know a little about how to use it.

Can you walk me through on how I check the mobo and cpu?

Thanks, Steve

Can I assume that your PSU in question is a 20 pin ATX connector and the 3 other motherboards are 24 pin? You can use a 20 pin PSU on a 24pin mobo. You only need to test it for 10 seconds in that 20 to 24 pin state.

If the PSU boots fine then you will need to swap memory and CPU for known good parts if possible.

Back