Desperately need help with Lexmark printer installation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

taffia77

I'm setting up an old laptop for a friend (PII 300Mhz 128mb ram 4G hard disk - how quaint). I've put on a stripped down version of Windows XP with SP2 (has all drivers installed, but loads of non-essential stuff stripped out) which works fine on other computers.
He's a bit careful with his cash (if you hadn't guessed from the laptop he bought!) and so I was extremely careful when I took him to buy a printer. We got a Lexmark Z735 and I've installed it, but half way through the installation stops and says the cartridge is unsupported... please install a correct print cartridge.
I know for a fact it's the right cartridge so has anyone got any ideas why this won't go any further? I've checked that I fitted it right!
Unless someone strongly believes it's a fault with the actual printer, I don't see the point of installing it on my machine as they're chalk and cheese in performance, and I'm not running the stripped down version of XP (and can't without a great deal of reformatting and repartioning) . Could I be missing a driver in this version of XP? If so what?
Cheers!

Are you using the driver that comes with XP? Have you tried the latest driver from the Lexmark website? I've checked and they have it there.

mailpup said:
Are you using the driver that comes with XP? Have you tried the latest driver from the Lexmark website? I've checked and they have it there.
I'm going to feel so stupid if that works! Be back soon!

Installed the driver from the site and it installed over the top. Tried printing a document but it gave me the same message.
At least my stupidity of not downloading the driver in the first place wasn't the problem!

Try this. Uninstall the driver you just installed from the website using Remove/Add Programs. Go to the Device Manager and find the Lexmark device. Uninstall it in the Device Manager (not physically, just in the DM). Restart, see Windows detect the "new" hardware but don't let it reinstall the default driver, if possible. Instead, install the new driver again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back