Digital Storm intros Black Ops Assassin PC with GTX 480

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Digital Storm has introduced the Assassin, a new model in the company's Black Ops desktop range. Like most boutique PC offerings, the Assassin can be outfitted with a myriad of today's finest hardware, but the machine is advertised with three base configurations: Performance ($2,387), Enthusiast ($2,535), and Extreme ($2,693).

By default, all three systems have their guts stuffed in the Black Ops Assassin chassis, but more "modest" options, such as the Cooler Master HAF 932 are available at a $100+ savings. Every default configuration feature the 2.8GHz Core i7 930, 6GB of DDR3 1600MHz RAM, a 500GB HDD, a 750W PSU, an Asetek liquid cooling system, free CPU overclocking to 3.9GHz, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Despite the significant price leaps, the GPU and motherboard (all X58-based) are the only two components that seem change between price points. The Performance PC has an Nvidia GeForce GTX 470, the Enthusiast rig has an ATI Radeon HD 5870, while the Extreme machine has a GeForce GTX 480. All systems ship with a three-year parts and labor warranty and should arrive by May 25 if ordered today.

If you're more of a DIY kind of person looking for pointers, swing by our desktop buying guide which is always kept up to date.

Permalink to story.

Actually, it's pretty reasonable for what they're offering compared to other custom-built rigs I've seen. $6,000 is not unusual in the custom-build arena.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2010/5/11/digital-storm-shows-us-how-much-they-love-maingear.aspx?pageid=0

Digital Storm has a habit of mimicking others in the computer business.

I posted this on BSN:

I am a DSO customer. I bought a $4000 PC at the end of 2008 and since then had nothing but trouble with it. The PC went dead on arrival. I RMA’d it and got back a working PC. Several months later, the PC developed other problems which DSO never managed to fix. Since November of last year, I’ve been sending my PC back to DSO four(!) times back-to-back. Each time they promised to fix the PC, and each time I got it back and it wasn’t working. I tried explaining to the manager (who shall remain nameless) that my PC has not been fixed, but he became rude and accused me of breaking my PC each time. Very unprofessional. During one of the RMAs, they switched my GPU to a lesser part hoping I would not notice! Can you believe it? When I confronted them about this, they didn’t know what to say other than we will look into why this happened. I never got any explanation … Other things:

Promises are never kept
Hang-ups when calling support (granted it was close to the end of their working day, but still)
Bad grammar in emails

Long story short, do not ever do any business with this company. You’d be better off paying a bit more for something like Maingear, then paying less and facing these kinds of troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back