Dilemma: Need Help Choosing Parts! Please feel free to HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi people, I've thought long and hard about the pieces I should purchase in order to make my computer, but it seems I'm pretty undecided about some of the more vital parts. Feel free to voice anything you'd like in relation to my PC, thanks.

Processor
AMD Opteron 148
Note: I plan on OC'ing this to 2.4-2.6 Ghz from it's stock at 2.2Ghz...

*I mean, if someone has insane mathematical and technological ability, care to tell me what I should OC at to maintain optimum performance from my G.SKILL while achieving the highest possible performance from my CPU?*

Motherboard
DFI Lanparty
ASUS A8N-SLI
DFI LP
DFI nF4 SLI
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Note:
Which one? I mean, if there's another one that you think would work great - please mention it.

Memory
G.SKILL Extreme Series DDR 500 2x 1GB Sticks

Video Card
eVGA 7800GT 256Mb

Hard Drive
WD Caviar 250GB

Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS

Drive 1
NEC Black CD/DVD Writer

Drive 2
SONY DVD-ROM

Thanks,
Rod

looks like a great system, but why would you wantan opterion prossor, as they are manly used for servers, as for motherboards they all look great

good luck with the build

I would go with a Creative X-Fi instead. On Creative's site Creative often has free shipping promotions and the price is the same as the 2 ZS.

U can OC it as high as u want, just get a good cooling solution that keeps things really cool, coz u have a monster of a card thats gonna generate a lot of heat, as will ur CPU. And get an AMD Athlon 64 FX while ur at it. Its superb, believe me. I'm using it and it just blows my earlier 2.8 Ghz Intel HT P4 away!

My father is planning to get a new PC soon and I was settling for Athlon 64 3200+, and now I want to go with X2. Would you tell me to go with FX?

Regarding my sound card, I think I'll stick with it. I'm fairly sure that X-Fi is better than my current choice, but for the time being, my ZS has a $40 mail in rebate... :)

Yeah I would. it simply can't be beat in terms of gaming performance. It completely screws the Intel Extreme Edition & the X2 is far from it in terms of gaming performance. I have the FX-57 and it ROCKS :grinthumb

dont go with an x-fi because i heard that there are compatablility issues between nvidia nforce 4 and creative x-fi

I would get a cheaper Audigey 2 ZS card (like $40), a Athlon 64 4000, and 1GB of corsair xms ram. Also a ASUS A8N-SLI mobo. Good Luck.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
U can OC it as high as u want, just get a good cooling solution that keeps things really cool, coz u have a monster of a card thats gonna generate a lot of heat, as will ur CPU. And get an AMD Athlon 64 FX while ur at it. Its superb, believe me. I'm using it and it just blows my earlier 2.8 Ghz Intel HT P4 away!

thats an outdated P4 of course the FX is gonna blow it away.. my 3000+ at 2.2ghz is prolly better than that.. btw how much was ur FX-57?

@Rod, are u still going to get the Antec Case with the PSU?

Truflip, I am - forgot to include it... But its an Antec 500W PSU + Case.

Corsair XMS sounds good, but its slightly too expensive in comparison to G.SKILL in terms of DDR 500. I mean, if everyone agrees that G.SKILL is reliable, I see no reason why I should try to get Corsair :)

Any comments?

I'm getting a DDR 500 because when I OC my CPU, I want the RAM to be at optimum - where as the DDR 400 will be slightly slower at its optimum (underclocked.) Also, I've heard that DDR 400 standard Mobo's can support DDR 500.

However, if anyone has had different experiences or thinks otherwise, please share...

Which motherboard? :p

truflip said:
thats an outdated P4 of course the FX is gonna blow it away.. my 3000+ at 2.2ghz is prolly better than that.. btw how much was ur FX-57?

@Rod, are u still going to get the Antec Case with the PSU?
I bought it for AED 4000, thats around $1200.

Get the Optie, you can get FX like performance and half or a quarter of the price. 2.6 is easy, stock cooling. I have a 3200+ Vinice at 2.6 on my Asrock Dual Sata2, stock cooling, 1.45Vcore. I'm using OCZ Gold VX DDR500, 2x512. G-Skill seems very good, two gigs is the way to go now. You realy want 2-3-2-5 timings for best performance, hard to find at DDR500 speeds. It is likely, with the first DFI that you could get 3ghz with memory 4:5 and 1.55 Vcore, with a XP-90/panaflow HSF. No guarantee on a OC.

DFI is good if you know how to set memory timings--THE best overclocker. Asus is easy to setup, but a little slower.

I have a NEC DVD burner, but I like my Samsung better. Burns faster, even faster than the media says. I have to slow down my NEC to work sometimes.

Asus has a new ATi crosfire mobo out, Anandtech's best overclocker yet. I don't think you can find it yet.

spartanslayer said:
How in the world could there be a computer case and psu that cost $1200? That seems like a lot too much.
Hehe, I was talking about the CPU that truflip was asking me about.

$1200 for a CPU?!@ :hotbounce '

the mans on a 1300$ US budget man.. he cant play games with jus a CPU in a case :suspiciou

harr harr.. neway rod go for the Optie and DFI motherboards theyre good at stock and whenever ur ready to OC. u'll love them even more hope this helps :giddy:

Yup, just saw that, no FX for me too.

Your budget is a bit like mine.

I was looking for a ±1200$ CAD computer and found one. (It's 1400$ with taxes)

Here it is :
Antec Sonata II
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800
Asus A8R-MVP
Asus AX1600 Pro 256Mb
Corsair TwinX 1024MB PC3200
NEC 3450 DVDRW
Floppy drive
WD 200GB SATA2

Yes you can find A8R-MVP (ATi Crossfire chipset). In my case it's a special order but it's cheaper than A8N-E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back