direct connect vs. wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all techspotters!

my question is simple:

What are the speed differences (if possible actual speed magnitudes, but if not just tell me which is faster) for directly connecting two PCS (through crossover/ethernet) and connecting two computers through a wireless network. Essentially, i want to know which will get file transfer done at a fast rate and, if possible, how much faster. thank you everyone!!!

JP

There are multiple standards for both wireless and CAT5 connections.
Currently the fasted wireless I've seen is 125Mb/s
Currently the fasted CAT5 I've seen is 1000Mb/s

Wireless comes in 11Mb/s 54Mb/s as standards with proprietery technologies (pre-802.11n) speeds over 100Mb/s

CAT5 (Twisted Pair, commonly used for ethernet) comes in 10Mb/s 100Mb/s and 1000Mb/s

Your hardware must support the necessary protocols in order to operate at any of these speeds.

Realistically a plain 100Mbit wired connection will be 3-5 times faster than any WiFi link. If you happen to have gigabit NICs (and a gigabit-compatible crossover cable) then your bottleneck will be the slowness of the hard drives in the computers :)

thanks!

okay, this helped a lot, but i just want to know how i can tell if i have a gigabit NIC? Also, if i give you the spec.'s of my two computers can you tell me if I can use the 1000 Mb/s crossover cable (appears to be fastest). Thanks. By the way, if you need the spec.'s can u let me know what specific ones you need? thanks again!

You can just look at the name of the network card in Device Manager. Or see the available speeds you can set in the device properties.

okay, i looked at my two computers and my newer computer has:
1) VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter AND
2) 1394 Net Adapter

my older computer (and slower one) has:
1) 3com 3C918 integrated fast ethernet controller (3C9058-TC compatable)

however, i couldnt find any type of "speed" in any of the settings. can you tell me what kind of crossover cable to buy to maximize my speed from computer to computer file transfer. thanks!

zeus648 said:
however, i couldnt find any type of "speed" in any of the settings. can you tell me what kind of crossover cable to buy to maximize my speed from computer to computer file transfer. thanks!

CAT 5E
or
CAT 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back