Disc Read Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven Michaels

So I just got this new 300 gig Seagate Hard Drive, but after I installed XP, whenver it reboot it would say "Disc Read Error, press Ctrl Alt Delete to restart"...

What do I need to do to get it to work?

Welcome to Techspot!
The more info you give is in direct relation to how much help you will get.
What type of HDD is it? IDE, sata
Other drives in the Machine?

Your trouble could be a jumper setting!

but after I installed XP, whenver it reboot it would say "Disc Read Error, press Ctrl Alt Delete to restart"...
Please expand.
Is this HDD the one you put a fresh copy of windows on? or from existing and just transfered over?

What is the boot sequence/order on BIOS/SETUP?
Eg: 1: CD
2: HDD
3: FDD etc.

^ Try set HDD to 1st boot priority.

Fresh copy...

...and I think the HD has been the first one before, but I cant remember, so Ill try that tommorow and get back to yall...

What version XP and service pack did you install on your HDD? SP1 or 2?

*Note that SP1/2002 doesn't support HDDs larger than 127Gb, so you need to divide it into smaller pieces (less than 127Gb per partition)

Maybe try download the utility from Seagate's website www.seagate.com and use that to setup your HDD, then install XP on it by following their instructions.

You can use the EDIT button to add info you've forgotten from your previous post.

Okay I divided it into three different partitions and I dont get the error anymore but now it says...

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.

Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

The fact that I put the Windows on the third Partition doesnt mess anything up right?

i'm not sure if having it on a different partition would be a problem.. but theoretically if you've set up windows to have C:\ drive letter then i don't think it will matter much, but general rule is that the primary OS is on the first..

check the jumper settings on your HDD. It should be set to Master and plugged into IDE: 1 or 0 or primary (whichever is first)

put in your windows XP cd and boot to recovery console. Try and perform a FIX MBR, chkdsk /f and some other one (sorry, can't remember the command.. )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back